• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic Casters/Mobile Base?

Marty,
Not long ago someone from the Chicago Woodturners posted a system with which they moved their club Jet 1642 lathes. It utilized trailer jacks and appeared quite clever. Try contacting them to track down more information.

Here you go Marty, our club has a set of these on one of our powermatic's.
I'd like to get a set of the 60's, but money is a problem around my house:(.

http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262

These are nice but the legs on your lathe will need to be drilled out to allow a 12mm bolt to pass thru, they don't come in SAE threads.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There is a gentleman in Atlanta who makes exactly what you need. I'm having memory problems this morning but I think it's Pat Johnson. Hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I made a jury rigged system that requires a hydraulic lift and a few minutes to install each set of wheels. However mine will roll over gravel and other small bumps with no problems.

Attachments

• Powermatic-wheels-2.jpg
    Powermatic-wheels-2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 147
I'm looking for plans or descriptions of bases for our clubs powermatic 3520. Wheels that can easily allow loading on a trailer

Thanks
:) Marty

Marty, if you look in the June issue of AW, page 15, there's a tip describing Paul Shotola's solution for lathe wheels. Paul is from the Chicago Woodturners club. (Paul gives credit to Gene Colley at Canyon Studios for the original idea.)

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Please make the casters removable!

I recently did a demo on a 3520 that the club set up on casters. I am 5'8" and the 3520, had it been on the floor, would have been pretty high for me. Since it was on casters that added about 3" or 4", the spindle height was up around my chest. They searched around and found a box for me to stand on and due to the design I nearly fell off of it three or four times (the top of the box exceeded the dimensions of the sides so there was overhang). To say the least it was a miserable experience.

Do your demonstrators a favor and make the casters removable! Or get a the with adjustable legs (I know that Stubby and Robust have adjustable legs. I'm not sure about others).

Don Geiger

Back