• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

powermatic 3520A tail stock

has anyone made a hollow tailstock out of a 3520A so to drill thrill from the tail stock? daniel; WELL ALL WHO LOOKED & REPLYED & GAVE OPIONS ,SUGGESTIONS POWERMATIC TEC :SENT ME A NEW ROD FOR TAIL STOCK IT WAS NOT THE SAME A MY 3520 A SO I CALLED & TALKED TO SOMEONE ELSE & HE TOLD ME 1ST THEY TRY DOING THIS SENDING ALL THE NEWER PARTS TO A GUY LIKE ME & HE HAD TO BUY A WHOLE NEW COMPLETE TAIL STOCK ! ILL TRY TO GET BUY WITH THE OLD ONE. THERE WERE PER PM, TWO TAIL STOCKS MADE FOR THE PM 3520A & I GOT THE ONE WITH NO HOLE THRU;

Last edited:
3520a

Daniel,
Maybe if you gave us a description of what you're trying to accomplish?
Kurt

pm 3520A CONVERT TAIL STOCK

I WANT TO HAVE A OPEN TAIL STOCK LIKE THE b MODEL; MY 3520 HAS NO THRU HOLE SO YOU CANT DRILL A LAMP BASE FROM THE TAIL SOCK, & YOU CANT NOCK OUT THE LIVE CENTER. IT HAS A BLIND HOLE NOT A THRU HOLE , HOW CAN I CONVERET IT TO THE NEWER STYLE? THANKS ; DANIEL

Daniel, I would talk to Powermatic and see if the parts from the b will interchange and order the parts to convert it. I know that could be more money than you want to spend but other than that you might have to take it to a machine shop, and have it machined out unless some one else has figured a way to drill it but it needs to be true and no screw ups. I

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
My 3520a tailstock is hollow

3/8d all the way thru. It is about 6 years old. Maybe that change was made after you got your lathe. Look at your parts explosion maybe you can get the new shaft.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
My 3520 A also has a hole all the way through. I would definitely write powermatic and ask if it can be upgraded.
If you have a long lamp auger you can drill from the headstock side. Drill half way through and then swap ends with the lamp. Then drill the other half. This is the way I had to do it with my old J line.

Back