• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

polishing blond

What does a person use when you want to polish a blond wood such as Maple? Or cut back a finish on a blond wood?

I have a maple burl bowl that I've been finishing with wipe on Poly and I think that as I cut it back with 0000 steel wool between coats, there's some discoloration going on.

I looked at bronze wool but it only goes to 00. How about abralon? Has anyone used any of that?

I have some synthetic...it's 3M, I think--white maroon and grey...but it either too coarse or not cutting at all.

So I'm kind of looking for a solution...anyone got any ideas?

thanks

DW
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

Are you using an oil based polyurethane or a water based polyacrylic? The water based and steel wool can give problems as the wool leaves some residue of iron that rusts during drying of the next coat. I have had good results with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper on some polyacrylics.

Wilford

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
abralon pads

the pads can be used dry or wet - however- if used dry they will clog up and can't be un-clogged, the finish can melt and stick to the fibres. Wet use can be with water or thinners or others that are compatible with your finish. They can be washed - but you can't wash out melted finish. the 360 and 500 are good for hogging off brush marks or runns, the finer ones are better for building up a smooth finish ready for buffing.

Back