• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM3520A Help Please

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
I am close to deciding to buy a 3520 based on what I see as very positive feedback from this site and Wood Central. I have the following questions to help me close in on my decision:

1. It seems that the 3520 is a highly regarded lathe and is in use by well experienced capable turners, and that it is a lathe that you could grow a long way with. Is this right?

2. Is this overkill for a first lathe? I am an experienced, serious woodworker, but have only turned two bowls, one on a Nova DVR and the other on a big Oneway at a seminar by our local club. I did a some long (7') simple spindle work on an old shopsmith. I think I have the bug, and am willing to invest in this price range to see where I go, if it makes sense as a first lathe.

3. I plan to order a remote switch and a short tool rest. Any other options that are recommended for an initial order?

4. Are the locking levers on the 3520 easy to use, and effective? I read some recent concerns about their usability. I was most impressed with the ease of use of the locking levers on the Oneway, less so with the Nova.

5. Has Jet been a good service provider on the Powermatic line?

Great forum. Thanks for your consideration.

Jerry Hall

I am a happy owner of a 3520. I think you could turn for a LONG time and be happy with it. The versatility of the moving headstock proved very important to me in outboard bowl turning of blanks over 20". That of course requires the outboard stand, which has up and down sides. There are some other outboard brackets being made here and there if you are interested.
I find the service good, as good as any. I have not had a trouble with the toolrest, I have used Bestwood as a component system to augment the standard rests....lots of options here.
I do not think it is too much lathe for a new turner. In fact, I think the better the lathe you can get when you are beginning the better. Nothing beats success. I would recommend some lessons perhaps on your own lathe by someone who is experienced in your AAW club.
Let me know if I can be of further help.
David Galloway
GAW, Apple Ridge

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have done many demonstrations on the 3230 and as with all sliding headstocks, it's a give and take. The main benefit, the headstock slides. The main drawback, the headstock slides.
That said, it can be worked around, with the headstock slid all the way back, and a plate behind it to prevent it from sliding off, it works great. If it isn't moved all the way back, the more you crank down on the tailstock, it moves back the headstock. This is probably because of the design of the lock mechanisms. Other than that, it has good power and works real well.

Website
www.woodturner.org
I agree with the other 2 posters. I started with a total beginner lathe and turned for 6-12 months on it, then I migrated directly to the 3520a. So as an advanced beginner I went right to the 3520a. Answers to your Q's.

1) You could stay with the 3520a your whole turning life. It is a robust machine and might be all you ever wanted. I've got 600-1000 hours on mine and frankly I may never buy another lathe. As an advanced beginner working on the 3520a I didn't feel it was too much to play with. Also since the lathe was so good I was able to entirely focus on developing my turning skills versus messing around with the machine to overcome the machine's limitations. But the same can also be said of other lathes.

2) If you are willing to invest in this price range then the 3520a is a good contender. You may want to do a bit more turning or look at other machines. Maybe you'll find a unique feature that you just can't live without. For me, the sliding headstock was exactly what I was after.

3) Accessories. I did not get additional tool rests since I forged and welded up some myself. I had specific toolrests in mind and found that I was so picky in this area that it was cheaper to make exactly what I wanted. One accessory I did get was the 18" bed extension. Never used it, but it was cheap to get (AND ship) at the time and someday I'll use it. Note that it is heavy and I got free shipping on my original order - so it's something to consider.

4) The headstock and tailstock camlocks are decent. I will modify mine in the future to have larger steel pads on the bottom of the bed to get a better grip. They could have been better. The banjo lock to the bed - ditto. The toolrest lock has too short of a handle. I modified my original one and it recently snapped off. Most lathes have similar short toolrest locking levers and I like a very snug mechanism there. The next time I turn some wet oak, I'm not going to completely clean off the bed and that should make the headstock and tailstock "stick" to the bed.

5) I have had no need for service on the machine. The grub screws on the sheaves came loose twice from usage. The second time I put locktite on them and they didn't come loose since.

I looked at the Stubby and you might consider it as well. It is a flexible machine but more expensive. I didn't like the oneway because of lack of the movable headstock - so you can't finish turning a bowl face on. If you are going to spend that much money - may I suggest you spend some time with a demo or friend's machine to see if you can live with it.

Thanks for the forum kudos, and I hope you enjoy the new photo gallery as well.

I purchased the power matic 3520 and love it. The rule of thumb when buying a machine is buy all you can afford and just a little more. I will own this lathe as long as I live, hope you will enjoy one as well,
Jim

I have had my 3520A since January and it was my first lathe and I believe it will out last me. Like the post before me it allows me to work on my turning skills and not worry about the lathe. I also got the extension and use it a lot. I use it to move the tail stock out of the way instead of lifting it off everytime I need more room while hollowing or turning the inside of a bowl. I am large and without the extension the tail stock was getting me on a regular basis. Top quality machine well worth the money.

I was one of the complainers about the toolrest locking mech. Having said that, it is still a very fine machine for the money. I have no qualms about buying mine and would do it again. If you really like the Oneway tool support, after you've had the 3520 awhile buy a One way support. Oneway will sell you one to fit your machine.

The most frustrating thing for me when I first started was trying to work around my early machines' shortcomings. Take that time and effort and put it towards learnig technique and you will be much further ahead. :)

Website
sawsndust.com
The most expensive tool is the one that you need to replace early and often. If you have the means to go right to a larger, quality lathe like the 3520A, than do it. You'll be skipping the financial losses that others, including myself, have experiences through the "upgrade" process once the addiction sets in...and it will.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Thanks!

I very much appreciate your thoughtful responses. Once you get the bug to get a new tool, and are doing your research, it is great to have this forum as a resource. I checked my PC several times daily and greatly valued the timely comments based on the solid experience you all have.

Yesterday I got my hands on an older (pre Jet) 3520 and saw a new one at a local supplier. I am going to visit one more turner with a current model and then order the beast. I then look forward later to participating in this forum with some basis of experience.

Thanks again

Pm 3520a

I have been using my new PM3520A for about 3 weeks and loving every moment of it. I just started turning last fall when a friend gave me a lesson on his Oneway. It is a substantial, stable, quiet, easy to use machine. I have turned some 9-10 inch maple bowls from rough blocks of wood without problems. I bought the package from Osolnicks and paid a fair price. I had some damage to the lathe in shipping and Osolnick had me refuse to accept the delivery then sent another as soon as they could which arrived perfect. I have the remote switch but don't think I need it for the lathe since the head stocks slides easily to the end. I have the outboard tool rest set up which I like for bowls. I want to connect the remote switch to my Jet dust collector which I have hooked up under the screen on the lathe. I can't figure out the wiring on the DC yet. The tools rest knob works well, but not as easy as the oneway. Most of the time you can set one side moderately tight then tightening the other and it holds fine. I did grind down the screw where it hits the post to give it a broader contact. I own Jet table and band saws as well as dust collector DC-1100C and the airfilter and am very impressed with the quality and function. With the difference in price compared to the high end machines I was able to purchase a Vicmarc scroll chuck, good turning tools, sharpening system and grinder, etc. Check it out and good turning.

Buy it. If you outgrow it, you will still have had a great machine.

We just bought this Powermatic following the excellent reviews and believe we made a good choice. It is an outstanding value.

Steve Worcester describes a plate behind the headstock to prevent it from sliding off. Do you have a picture or a good description? The outboard on the Oneway has a 1*2*1/4" plate that attaches to the outside as a stop to keep the tool rest from sliding off unless you unbolt the plate. Is this what you did?

John,
My 3520 arrived with a small steel rectangle bolted to each end of the ways. These served to prevent the headstock and tailstock from coming off during shipping and handling. I left the one securely in place at the headstock end and picked up a handle that fit the threads on the tail stock end. I use that one as a stop so as not to slide the tail stock off accidently. I loosen the handle and spin the tab down when I wish to remove the tail stock.

Jake

Back