• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM1250 Air Filtration System

I would guess at least part of the added cost is the HEPA filter. HEPA filters aren't cheap. None of the hanging air cleaners are equipped with HEPA filters and, therefore, don't filter the finest particles, at least until the filters load up a little. I believe the Powermatic is a big improvement over the standard hanging air cleaners for that feature alone. With dust collection and filtration the question is whether you want to filter out as much of the small particles (the really harmful particles) as you can or just go less expensive. I've thought seriously of dumping my 20+ year old hanging cleaner for the Powermatic for just that reason.

I always thought the Jet AFS 1000B was HEPA, but you are right. It filters down to 1.0 microns where HEPA is 0.3 microns.

So there's that benefit. I was thinking the 1250 might be an advantage because it is portable and can be placed where the work is being done. Still I can't say the ratio of sex appeal to cost is very favorable.

If I did go that route I'd hang on to the 1000B. Besides that is still producing significant filtration it makes a big contribution to circulating heated air in my shop.

Some thing that having an air cleaner in the shop down low, like on the floor, is a better concept than hanging one from the ceiling because it draws the dust downward, away from the air you breathe. Plus, having a portable cleaner allows you to place the cleaner where you need it, especially good for power carvers and hand sanding. I think the Powermatic air cleaner is a big improvement. I own a JDS. I discussed HEPA filters with them several years ago. They do have HEPA filters but they are very expensive (like $200) and, according to JDS, single use. You may be able to carefully vacuum them once or twice. Powermatic's filter is single use according to their literature, which means that you would be replacing an expensive HEPA filter regularly. I don't see a lot of reviews so it appears that they don't sell too many. It was also on sale for$100 off the original price recently. I'm still thinking about it. I would also keep my other filter as it has always done a great job.

Back