1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Platform for lathe

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Oscar Ortega, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Oscar Ortega

Oscar Ortega

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Laguna 2436 but the spindle is 3” above my elbow.

I thought of building a platform large enough to mitigate the risk of stepping off and I am wondering if this is wise?

Regards,
    Oscar

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  2. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Oscar, all my lathes, I have them maybe even more than 3 inches above my elbow. I like to have them at "nipple" height. It is easier on my back when I turn all day. Three inches seems like a proper height. I think you will like the extra height. Aloha

3. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Is this issue specfic to this lathe or to lathes in general?

I have seen a lot of people use platforms.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  4. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    Altitude adjustment devices are fine. We had a couple at MD Hall for students who needed them.

building one it is important to have it cover the area where you are likely to stand.
    Also when not on the stand it can hurt your toes in retaliation when you kick it.

charlie knighton likes this.