• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pine Cone

I was wondering if anyone might have a tutorial or some suggestions for turning pine cone? I am interested in trying to make some pens out of pine cone but have never used this material before.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Cochrun

Me either, but they are laying all over my yard. It wouldn't cost me anything to try it? I suspect that a dry pinecone would turn a lot like a dry corn cob, which is to say, better than one would expect.

I'd try one. If it doesn't work too well, soak a roughout in thinned lacquer and let it dry. It's a new frontier...

Pine Cone Pen

Jim, here is a picture of my pine cone pen. I let our squirrels do part of the work by chewing off all of the pine cone petal parts, and then I saw two 2.25" long pieces of the thickest areas. Drill a 7mm hole in each, CA glue in the brass tubes, and turn them like any other pen blank though a bit faster rotation. They tend to break easier than wood, but I have 104 Georgia Long Leaf pine trees in our yard that are at least 100'++ tall, with way too many pine cones.
Luck,
Gil

Attachments

• Pine Cone Pen.JPG
    Pine Cone Pen.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_3609.JPG
    100_3609.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Back