• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pens sticking on the mandrel

HI,
Can anyone help with a solution to stop the bushes from sticking on the mandrel when polishing pens with cyno.
wally

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
First, use less CA and try to apply it only to the wood. If it is getting all the way to the mandrel, I think that it is being applied too liberally. More and thinner coats is what I would suggest. Additionally, you could try putting a grease or wax on the mandrel before putting the pen parts on it. Briwax might work. I use a product called Johnson's Paste Wax.

When using ca use the plastic spacers for the polishing after you finish your turning & sanding this helps they are shaped like cones

Ian

Back