• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Penn State DC1 collection bags

I have an old Penn State DC1 dust collector, which I've added a filtration cannister to the top. These originally had top and bottom cloth filtration bags. I managed a few years ago to find a plastic bottom collection bag that fit, but now I need to replace it due to holes, but can't seem to find anything close in size. Has anybody come up with a source?

I've looked at our local janitorial supplier, but no luck. I'm not interested in putting yet another plastic bag in the landfill, rather I sprinkle the dust around the yard. Out here in the coastal Pacific northwest, we have a lot of clay in the soil, so I figure that this is good organic material, and since I only use repurposed timber, I know that there are no chemicals to be concerned with. The construction garbage bags, although tough enough, are way too big.

Wynn Environmental sells 4 mil clear bags sized for 19"-20" diameter dust collectors. They fit well on my Harbor Freight D.C. https://wynnenv.com/products-page/woodworking-filter-pricing/ (scroll down 2/3) They sell only in a 10 pack, perhaps more than you want.

Other bags I found on Amazon were too big and had to be folded like Gary describes. That worked ok for sealing the bag on to the unit. But the oversized bags were hard to remove once they filled up. The full bags were too big to fit easily between the legs that hold up the filtration housing, so they were kind of stuck in place. So consider that if you decide to go for oversized bags.

Dave

Back