• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pen Kit Selection

I have been wondering lately if there is a market for new and 'different' pen kits. It seems every supplier has the same kits. I purchase mine from Craft Supplies, who seems to offer the widest variety of models and metals, but wonder if other pen turners are wanting new designs.

New kits

Matt, I think every penturner wants new and different kits. Even with the great variety of kits already available, we want a new one!

By now you probably know that there are only 3 companies that manufacture the kits we see in the catalogs, CSU, Berea and PSI. They seem to copy each other's designs.

I have heard that tooling for a new kit costs upwards of $25,000 which is a sizeable investment. It takes thousands of kits sold before the manufacturer recovers the initial investment. You can figure out that each of these companies invested around a million dollars in tooling alone.

Bringing out new kits will to some extent cut on the sales of the existing kits for obvious reasons. The investment is not justified unless they can sell a lot of the new kits. The higher the price of the new kit, the less they can sell of the particular kit.

Since I do sell pens, I have some comments on this subject.

First, too many pens and too much variety tends to confuse the buyers. A lot of the purchases at my shows are for gift giving. I only carry a few styles in my shows.

Then, a kit is only the start of the pen making process. Take for example the very common and inexpensive slimline kit. The variety of designs that can be made with this kit is endless. Add different materials for the barrels, and you could make thousands of different pens. 95% of my sales are from slimline kits, and that is not because of my choice!

Lastly, in today's culture, for most people a pen is a ballpoint. There is a market for rollerballs and fountain pens for sure, but it is minor, and at a higher price bracket. I have seen $15,000 fountain pens . . . I doubt that I will sell any at that price in my shows. Ballpoints in the $20-40 range sell very well !

Manufacturers are actually very responsive to the market. They do introduce new kits from time to time. We just cannot expect a lot of new kits every year. In the meantime, we use our ingenuity and artistic talent to make the best of the existing kits. That is creativity.

pen kits

Fred,

Thanks for your reply. Most of my sales are custom pens, where I have made a catalog and let people choose a wood and a pen kit. I have sold dozens this way in a few months. I haven't ventured into a craft fair yet, but once I can build up some inventory I plan on doing some of that. From a time/profit standpoint, I would rather sell one $50 cigar pen than 3 less expensive kits because it takes me about the same amount of time to make either. (yes, I am still kinda slow :rolleyes: ) I am learning from my custom sales that the pens that I think are cool don't sell well ( Gentlemen's pen from CS being my favorite ). I do the best with the European (mont blanc) and the Cigar Pen, both in platinum. It still takes me about an hour to crank one of these out.

When building inventory for a craft show, I assume better time efficiency can be achieved by batch producing blanks. I would like to hear your thoughts on this subject as well.

I have just started a batch of pens as I want to get a new lathe and need the money. One of the biggest downside for me, and perhaps the only one is the process before turning. I have tried a couple of times to hire a friend to do this, but they both gave up after a few pens...said it was too tiresome. I often have a problem with drilling the blanks straight - and I have tried different methods. Since they still work for me I don't worry too much about that. However, gluing the brass tubes is a nightmare. I bought one of the inserting tube tools but that gets covered in glue and I end up with more on me than in the tube. I have run beads of CA on the tube but always feel that more gets pushed out as I am twisting the tube in than actually stays in and does its job. I have tried Gorilla glue but that is another mess itself.

Lots of information is out there on how to drill straight and what finishes to use, but next to nothing on tried and true glue up methods.

Any input will be much more than welcome.

Ruth in So. Cal

Website
www.picturetrail.com
I agree it would be nice to see some more kits for some that have a huge market for pens. For myself , I only sell an average of ten pens a month and they are only in the $20..00 to $50.00 range so there are plenty kits out there to satisfy my particular needs. If I lived in or near a city where there were more upscale boutiques and other outlets for pens I would probably be looking for more kits also. I only keep a backup stock of about 100 pens and run off a dozen or so whenever it gets much below that.

Ruth in So. Cal;
I have no problem with gluing tubes in or with drilling the blanks . I use CA if I am in a hurry and 2 part epoxy if I am not.
But seeing as this topic started about pen kit variety rather than construction, feel free to email if you like and maybe I can help.
W.Y.

Efficiency

Matt: Efficiency is a very contoversial subject, as I have found through my postings in other forums. The camp seems to be divided between those who sell pens, and want to make a little money, and those who make pens for their own satisfaction, whether they sell any or even recover their costs when they sell pens.

Then there are a few, like me, who can wear more than one hat! Sometimes I am the artist, and sometimes the businessman.

Let me start by stating that I can make a $20. slimline based pen in about 15 minutes. I say "based" because I don't make the skinny and straight barrels. For that matter, I don't like big bulges either. Just my taste. These pens get a good finish, not just a quick and dirty rub with a friction polish.

I live in a low income area, and most people will not buy expensive pens. Most do not buy fountain or rollerball pens either. These slimline based pens sell for $20-40, depending on the wood, shape, amount of work, etc. Given that kit, wood, and other supplies usually run me about $5. per pen, and adding for overhead, etc. I can make upwards of $30 per hour making these pens. I figure time spent is sales as chargeable too...

I make pens in batches. After I decide what type of kit I am going to work on, I select the wood. I usually keep a number of cut blanks on hand, but sometimes I have to cut some wood. My blanks are usually 3/4" sq by about 5". I cut the blanks to fit the tubes, and rubber band them in pairs after marking the center cut with a carpenter's pencil. It takes about a minute to drill a set of blanks.

I drill a number of blanks at a time, rubber banding them again. I try to glue in the tubes in batches too, usually 10-20 sets, since that is the size package of most of the pens I buy. I use epoxy. The problem with pen insertion tools is that they cost money, so most people have ONE. I use tapered UHMW rods, and have several on hand. Even when the epoxy sticks to them it is easy to peel it off after it dries. Takes 1-2 minutes to sand and glue the tubes in the blanks. Then I sand the ends until I am very close to the tube, and finish squaring with a jig I made. It is like a pen mill, but uses REPLACEABLE sandpaper.... no sharpening needed.

When time comes to turn the barrels, I mount a set of blanks on a mandrel and turn it. Sealer at 400 (blonde shellac...) and continue sanding to 2500. I use MM for plastic and wood only when needed. Even at a slow speed, it takes only a few minutes to turn the blanks.

Then I apply the first coat of finish. While this dries, I mount the second, and maybe third, set of blanks on another mandrel. I go back and put another coat on the barrels that are on the lathe, AND take the mandrel from the lathe, and put in a rack to dry.

Then I turn the second set, and sand, coat of finish, etc. just like the first one. At this time I put a coat on the barrels that are on the drying rack, by hand, lengthwise.

After I have used all the mandrels, they go back to the lathe in turn for a couple more coats of finish. I do try to give them the best finish I possibly can. Good finish SELLS !!! I like using titanium gold kits since they are much more durable.

Time elapsed? You figure it out! Is this for everybody? NOOO! Do I recommend my system? NO, how you make pens or any other object is up to you!

Most of the pens I have taken to the local shows are slimline based, cigars, and European. Most of my pens are under $50. No pencils. No key rings either.... they look too much like a pen, and I would have to sell them cheap to sell them at all. Since they look like a pen, I have a hard time justifying the price of the pens.

Ebony and Bethlehem Olive Wood, Ti slimline kit, sold for $40 at my last show.

Attachments

• olivebo3.jpg
    olivebo3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Bowen Turner said:
I have just started a batch of pens as I want to get a new lathe and need the money. One of the biggest downside for me, and perhaps the only one is the process before turning. I have tried a couple of times to hire a friend to do this, but they both gave up after a few pens...said it was too tiresome. I often have a problem with drilling the blanks straight - and I have tried different methods. Since they still work for me I don't worry too much about that. However, gluing the brass tubes is a nightmare. I bought one of the inserting tube tools but that gets covered in glue and I end up with more on me than in the tube. I have run beads of CA on the tube but always feel that more gets pushed out as I am twisting the tube in than actually stays in and does its job. I have tried Gorilla glue but that is another mess itself.

Lots of information is out there on how to drill straight and what finishes to use, but next to nothing on tried and true glue up methods.

Any input will be much more than welcome.

Ruth in So. Cal

Bowen, this is a problem we all encountered at one time or another. In trying to solve it I found, first that my drill press was not perfectly aligned. It doesn't take much of a misalingment to get off on something as small as a pen blank. Then I purchased a cross-slide, machinist type, drill press vice. It wasn't expensive and has other uses, plus adds a measure of safety by holding the work securly. With it I can perfectly align the blank before drilling.
Frank

Back