• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

parting tool useage video

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have more planned but this is my busy time of year both at work and home. I have 4 demos in the next 6 days and still have to work 4 of those. It will be a few weeks before I do anymore. The next one will be on the Spindle Roughing gouge which will include more info on preventing catches from any tool.
After that I plan on doing one that shows how to steer the bowl gouge to get the shapes you want. I'm going to borrow a second camera and learn how to do split screen so you'll see an overall view of me (ugh) and how I move my body and the tool, along with a second close up view of the cut. I hope I can pull that off.

John, please understand I'm not centering you out on this because none of the videos I have ever watched do it any different. I find that the camera angles are from the top down or angled from right to left when showing the use of tools. What I miss is the side view showing the elevation of the tool or the angle it is presented at. It is easy to say cut above, on or below center, but that just doesn't do it for me. Depending on the tool I am using I often find myself struggling to present the cutting edge at the right angle. For example if using a spindle gouge, I place the tool rest where I think it is positioned such that the bevel can make contact then lift the handle so the cutting edge begins to cut. Depending on the diameter of the turning it seems to me the angle I must present the tool at changes significantly. As I work my way in and the diameter gets smaller the handle is raised much higher until it is perpendicular and the cutting edge is on center. It is the initial angle of the tool during presentation that gets me and I often have catches resulting from it. Does this make any sense to you and if so is there a possibility that this elevation can be shown in a video?

Back