1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Organizing Sanding Supplies & CA

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Paul Grenier, May 18, 2020.

1. Paul Grenier

Paul Grenier

Location (City & State):
    Mossup, CT
    Recently I decided to think about solutions to issues that have bothered me in my turning pastime. I just finished up, what is for me, a new and much more efficient way of keeping all of my sanding supplies - disks, 2" & 3" paper in 80 to 800 grits, replacement pads, roloc pads, roloc extensions, CA glues of different viscosity, etc., etc. Previously, I had my sanding supplies in multiple places requiring a lot of walking and searching for stuff. Since this pic from 3 days ago, I've added a holder for my Varigrind II, and my other Wolverine tool rest for my grinder. The 1st pic is with the drawer unit in position for when I'm sanding and the 2nd pic is with it partially pivoted to it's "home"
    What is everyone else doing?

Attached Files:

2. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn Artist & Chef

Location (City & State):
    Houma, Louisiana
    Paul, that looks really good. I especially like the swing arm and the hanger for your sander. But the whole setup is great. I'm definitely stealing some of the ideas you have.

3. Kent Jaffrey

Kent Jaffrey

Location (City & State):
    Warrenton, Virginia
    I never would have thought of making a swing arm out of iron pipe, but it sure good work well. Now if I can only remember that trick in the future.

4. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Location (City & State):
    Nebraska
    You could also use a piece of EMT conduit of appropriate size and use a conduit bender to put a couple offsets in the conduit to make a swing arm.

5. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    Looks great except the CA needs to be stored in a refrigerator.

6. Paul Grenier

Paul Grenier

Location (City & State):
    Mossup, CT
    I initially did just that, but making 2 90 degree bends that close to each other created some issues with adjusting the overall height, so I scrapped that and used black pipe instead.

7. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I use an old milk carton with a hanging file frame and hanging files. Each file is marked with the number of the grit. Takes up very little room on a shelf. Autographed photos are available on request. o_O

Mark Hepburn likes this.
  8. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Location (City & State):
    Nebraska
    Bending electrical conduit takes a fair amount of practice, finesse and the proper bender for the size of conduit being bent, the threaded pipe is an easy solution and should last forever.
    Those back to back bends going in opposite directions can be a challenge depending on the size of conduit and trying to support the conduit for the final bend.

Mark Hepburn likes this.