• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ordering new Jet 1442 lathe

I'm thinking about ordering a new Jet 1442 w/legs from SouthernTool and would like to know if anyone have found them to be a good mail order source? They have this lathe for about $900. including freight delivery. Is this a good price? Also just getting started in wood turning and would like to get a chuck to use with the lathe. I would like a good quality chuck, however, don't want to spend more than necessary since I'm just getting into the hobby. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also what tool set is a good one for starting out with.....I don't want anything that is too cheap and would like to not go for the most expensive tools until later on. Thanks in advance! Sekiar

This one is up my alley...

I bought my Jet 1642 From Southern Tool about 4 months ago. It came on time - approx 10 days. the delivery was smooth- no dents , no bruises. the delivery truck used a hydrolic lift at no extra cost. ( I believe southern told me it may be an extra cost depending on the transport company. everything was good for the first 48 hours. it turned out they sent me a faulty machine. the inverter ( $900.00) died. Now its not nesc there fault but then the tail stock stripped. not nesc their fault either: Its JETS Fault! On a positive note. Jet was fantastic in getting my equiptment repaired. Find out where your closest JET repair dealer is cause using a distant company such as southern you may have to transport/ go back and forth on a few items. mine was only 45 minute drive. Anyway I never actually called Southern Tool with my problems- i went straight to JET. Nice thing about JET is that they won't make you send broken parts back " just toss it- and we will send you a new one" ( that includes the nine hundred dollar inverter") the nice thing about buying from a local retail environment is that if something breaks ie inverter, they will bend over backwards to replace it quickly. ( unlike mail order) My lathe was down for 3 weeks waiting for the new inverter to be flown in from Taiwan- first they told me that the inverter was on a "slow boat from taiwan" and I would get the part in 2 months. Yes this was the actual conversation. A bit of pressure on our end changed the boat to a plane- it was still almost 3 weeks.

Now regarding your choice of lathes and tools.
I like my Jet 1642 - paid $1850 total (16" swing) but I wish I didn't do so much research (to many peoples opinions tend to cloud our own- much like I am doing to you) . I reallys should of gotten the powermatic 3520a ( i think thats the correct number) with a 20 " swing for only a few hundred more. you may think like i thought that I will never make some 20" bowl for that is huge but what I didn't realize is that when you put the log onto your lathe- its alway larger than the actual bowl- so my Jet with a 16" swing really only makes a 14" bowl ( these are approximates)

Second- the vibration on your 1442 Jet will drive you nuts. even the 1642 with 300 extra lbs added (sandbags) still rattle- and sometimes dance at 600 lbs. the powermatic starts at 700 lbs.

third- I know that cost is a factor. But lets be realistic if you paid 1300 for a lathe in 2004 or 2500 for a much better lathe in 2004 - come 2006 you will not be whining about paying so much for a lathe but you will be crying that you bought a cheap lathe.

Yes I am opinionated- thats okay - I just don't wan't you to make the same mistakes that I did.

PS- If you are married and its your wife that is putting a cap on your spending ( this would be me) They don't understand the need for POWER, For SPEED, For Accuracy in a lathe- Go with your first instinct then figure out how to pay for it later.

I feel the same way about tools: Go Hamlet 2060's

okay I'm not done.

I just started in lathing and I love it- its addicting- especially if you have some one to teach you. Good luck. Please remember that the more expensive the lathe the more you can concentrate on the wood and the less you end up fighting poor lathe design.

PS make sure what ever purchase you make has a head stock that moves- trust me you will be glad to have this ability. JET 1642 does as well as powermatics.

My situation may be somewhat unique but I've found that I can generally get as good a deal, or better, from my local Ace Hardware dealer on Jet, Delta, General and Powermatic machines.. But I have to ask. Buying locally avoids any shipping charges, but I do have to pay sales tax. Well, technically, the tax is due to the State of Michigan regardless of where it was purchased, but that's another story.

Some brands, however, are unavailable through my Ace, like Oneway, Vicmark, Nichols, etc.

Just a thought worth checking out.

Whit

toolnut

I bought my 3520A from www.toolnut.com

He will be anybodies price you have found.

He has sold many of these, as well as jets, good folks to deal with. They bent over backwards for me.

W.C.

I bought my PM 3520A from Southern Tools. Delivered in 10 days. I did pick it up at the Trucking Co. dock. It was easier to get it off my trailer than theirs at my shop. My wife and I took the headstock, tailstock, and banjo off and used pvc pipe as rollers and moved it into the shop while it was still on the pallet.
Bill Hunt

Back