• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway coring system

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
In order to take some of the measuring out of coring, I have these tips.
First, attach the chuck and jaws that you would normally use for coring. Using a square, mark the point at which the front of the jaws meet at the bed. This is 0.
I then attached a 12" tape to the bed to make setup of the jig easier and more predictable each time. (On my Oneways ways, I had to slightly grind down the welds so that the tape would lay flat. I then sanded enough paint off so that the tape would stick.)

For each knife (and support finger), I clearly marked the # on the side and what size bowls it is capable of. Also (although harder to see) I marked the distance from the center of the knife tip to the center of the post where is goes into the base plate.
Now when laying out the plates and knifes, I don't have to look up the diameters and depths, they are right at my fingertips and the tape assists me in laying out the cuts more easily.

Attachments

• pci1.JPG
    pci1.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 512
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Back