• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

One Way Wolverine Rig with Rikon 8" 1 HP Grinder

I am just getting started.
I purchased the 1HP Rikon Grinder after Buying the 1/2 HP model and sending it back because it was junk.
The 1 HP model is pretty nice for the monet and has a vacuum port down low behind each wheel which is great until you try to use it with the OneWay Wolverine bases with it.
To get the right height for the rig to be effective the exhaust ports have to be removed.
Has anyone else had this problem and turned out a solution for it?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi Glen,
You picked a pretty good grinder to start ,I use one and have been very happy with it. On mine I have CBN wheels so the guards are off. The exhaust ports are just that not for a vacuum but you may already know that. Some of the gents here have set up rare earth magnets in water to collect the waste.I have not tried it,I find with the CBN wheels I have very little waste. I'm sure some of the the other guys will be along to share there ideas.

You can install a spacer between the grinder base and the table top which will increase the distance and allow installation of the wolverine jig.

To get the Wolverine base up to proper height for my robo rests, I had to put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood under them. I did remove the rubber feet, totally worthless lamp, the safety shields, and the dust ports. I did keep the wheel guard on, just the inside one, mostly to help control the metal dust. I think I had to adjust the wheel guard a bit to be able to slide the robo rests all the way up to the wheel. A good grinder for the price. Plenty of power for the heavy D Way CBN wheels. Not as quiet as my Baldor grinders, but still good for the price. I did get one a couple of years back when they first came out. When I took the rubber feet off so I could bolt it to plywood, I had grind off the feet a bit to get it to sit flat. The newer one was fine.

robo hippy

CBN wheels make no stone dust, but the amount of steel dust, of course, is the same.

I placed a bent aluminum pie pan under the CBN (guard off), then inside the pan I use a rare earth magnet inside a Ziploc bag to capture the steel dust. This is pretty effective, but not perfect. When I clean up I use the bagged magnet to "sweep up" the dust. The steel dust is then fairly easy to remove from the outside of the bag without removing the magnet.

Note, I have Tormek jigs. This is a little more complicated with the Wolverine system's steel frame directly under the wheel.

Last edited:
Back