1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Old burl bark removal

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Dean, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Dean

Dean

Location (City & State):
    Waco, TX
    I have some old redbud burl from 3-4 years ago that I want to remove the bark from but this stuff just doesn’t want to get naked for some reason. Does anybody have any good ideas for how to do this?

Many thanks

2. Glenn Lefley

Glenn Lefley

Location (City & State):
    Invermere, British Columbia
    use a new employee

3. John Walls

John Walls

Location (City & State):
    Larimore, ND
    For stubborn bark, I have an air chisel that removes it *fairly* easy, just go slow and let it work.

4. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

Location (City & State):
    virginia
    I think I used my mangled flat screwdriver that is more an awl than screwdriver. maple came off mostly easy. 20201013_080250-1.jpg

5. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    Pressure washer will work in some bark if the wood is solid.
    Don’t use a pressure washer on punky wood.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  6. Glenn Lefley

Glenn Lefley

Location (City & State):
    Invermere, British Columbia
    Bark on Douglas fir at our mill is 3 inches thick plus. We take two labourers to peel with sledge hammer and chisels. And it’s in the field no power, no air. Just gas tools.

7. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    If the bark is stuck after that amount of time, it will take a major effort to remove it. Fresh cut burls in the spring is the easiest way to remove bark when the cambium layer is soft and easy to break. Let it harden off and it's like it's glued on. I found a small demolition jack hammer at Harbor Freight years ago. I cut the end of the punch off to make it square and it works great to knock off spring bark. But even it makes hard work of old bark.

8. Dean

Dean

Location (City & State):
    Waco, TX
    Darn, I hoped I was just slow on the subject but it seams the best way is the old fashioned elbow grease way. Thanks fellas