• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #28

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Mounted laser pointer.......

I spoke about this in a thread recently, and although it's not something that I use constantly, it sure does come in handy once in awhile. There is a specific need for something like this, and when that need comes along......this is the perfect solution! :cool2:

This is a plain old laser pointer purchased at Staples. I believe the cost was $29 a few years ago. I've had this one for a few years before it was commandeered for this purpose! :D

It can be used to pinpoint a particular spot of interest on a spinning bowl. The beauty of this is it is a permanent reminder of the location.....unlike pencil marks that are gone the moment your lathe tool runs across it. Because the red spot is on the wood, it's just "fall over" easy to see where the "wake" of your tool is in relation to it......very very precise.

The laser pointer is inserted into a hole drilled into a small block of wood. There is a stiff wire connecting the wood to a magnet at the headstock. It's very easy to adjust this contraption to any location you wish.....and stores out of the way when you don't need it.

I don't know if anyone else has done this.....but, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't an original idea......but, it is to me!......:D

later, friends.......

ooc

Attachments

• laser pointer, final version (2).JPG
    laser pointer, final version (2).JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 185
  • laser pointer close (2).JPG
    laser pointer close (2).JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 151
Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Great minds think alike! As soon as I played with a hollowing arm with its laser pointer this idea came to me. It is a huge help removing little glitchy things on a bowl wall. I mounted mine on a gooseneck. Training the goose took inordinate effort though.

Happy Almost New Year Mr Odie!

Dave

Back