• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #25

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Good advice that I've heard a number of times from other turners: "Throw that sandpaper away, and get a new piece!"

I've always been one who has trouble throwing sandpaper away until long after I should have. :mad:

One of the reasons for this, is and always has been that I have trouble breaking away from what I'm doing......stop everything......and go to the sandpaper trays to cut off a new strip.

I don't know why I didn't "get it" years ago, but recently I've discovered that if I had pre-cut strips of sandpaper handy, I will have less trouble getting rid of worn out paper when I should..........duh! :D

These pvc tubes were left over from when I made up a lathe tool holder previously. I mounted them on my rolling lathe cart......holds a dozen strips of pre-cut sandpaper.....organized and convenient.

One more shop glitch solved! (.....or is that a "personal" glitch? Heh,heh,heh! :eek: )

ooc

Attachments

• sandpaper tubes (2).JPG
    sandpaper tubes (2).JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 222
  • lathe stand oct 09 (2).JPG
    lathe stand oct 09 (2).JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 189
I pre-cut all my sandpaper (Abranet, actually) and STILL have a real hard time throwing out pieces that have a "little" more life in them. I'm not super frugal in real life, but somehow in the shop I just get that way. Anyone else like this? Is there help for us someplace? :eek:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I pre-cut all my sandpaper (Abranet, actually) and STILL have a real hard time throwing out pieces that have a "little" more life in them. I'm not super frugal in real life, but somehow in the shop I just get that way. Anyone else like this? Is there help for us someplace? :eek:

It's like a dull tool. You wouldn't still use it without sharpening. would you. It still kinda works, but no, you go sharpen. The difference is the sandpaper can't be re-sharpened. It is a cutting tool that has become dull. Toss it and get some sharp stuff.

Buy sandpaper in bulk quantities, to reduce the unit cost. It only hurts once, this way. Then pretend that somebody else paid for it.

Yep, buy sandpaper in bulk, precut it in strips. I screwed a length of thin steel on my tool shelf and used some of those clips with magnates on the back and attach the paper to the steel strip by grit using those mag clips. Fresh paper right at hand.

I also use one of those clips to attach a plastic bag to a leg of my lathe to receive my worn sand paper. Now I am not picking it off my bench or the floor.

Last edited:
Great Idea Odie - question - where did you get your fancy red cart? How long are yours strips and how long are the pvc tubes?

Thanks

Robert

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Great Idea Odie - question - where did you get your fancy red cart? How long are yours strips and how long are the pvc tubes?

Thanks

Robert

If it's important, I'll go measure for you, but I think sandpaper is 8x11, and I usually cut strips on the 8" length. The tubes?......probably about 5" in length.

The red cart? Got that at Walmart a few years ago. I think it was around $30 at the time. (I'll bet something very similar could be purchased at just about any automotive supply places like Napa, Checker, etc.) Mine has been modified from it's intended purpose for my own needs. It was originally intended for auto mechanics.......The design allows it to be rolled up to the vehicle's front fender and partially extends into the engine compartment with the hood open.......pretty cool idea......but even cooler idea for a lathe turner! :D I find it to be really handy, because it can be rolled around in the shop......depending on what I'm doing at the moment. :cool2:

I keep "in progress" sanding supplies and my most frequently used lathe tools on the red cart. Lathe tool storage for other tools are kept in tubes held upright at another location.

Here's a pic of the red cart as it originally came.......before I started modifying it to the hilt!

Also a pic of my sandpaper, sanding disc, and other lathe tool storage options. (I'm kind of a nut for Deluxe mixed nuts......so, I've got a lot of those tin cans.......they've become great storage containers for extra sanding disc storage!)

Steve: I like your analogy about sandpaper being like a dull tool, and needs to be replaced/sharpened........that's an outstanding way of making the solution stand out in one's mind! Don Leydens: I'm exactly like you......always searching for that one little area of sandpaper that still has a little "life" left in it. I guess that's not unrealistic, but there is a point where it just makes sense to throw that darn thing in the trash can.......!!!!!

ooc

Attachments

• Rolling tool cart (2).jpg
    Rolling tool cart (2).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 57
  • sandpaper storage (2).JPG
    sandpaper storage (2).JPG
    93 KB · Views: 67
  • Lathe tool caddy (2).JPG
    Lathe tool caddy (2).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Power lock disc storage (2).JPG