• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #23

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
For the longest time, I've been putting sandpaper and powerlock discs that were in current use in margarine tubs. This works pretty good, but I had the idea that it could be organized a little better.

Earlier this year, I came up with this idea of having slotted chunks of scrap wood made up for organizing the sandpaper and discs that were currently being used.......presto!......they have proven to be just one more little handy item to keep things well organized. I added a couple of unused hooks from the scrap hardware pile so they can be carried around the shop very handily, and easily.

New sandpaper, and discs are still kept as they always have been.

While I was at it, I also made up a little caddy for pens, pencils and Sharpie markers that are used frequently......glad I did that, too! :D

ooc

Attachments

• Sanding caddies (2).JPG
    Sanding caddies (2).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 216

odie

TOTW Team
Just thought I'd show you how all the new sandpaper and power-lock discs are being stored. These are the new, unused paper and discs........the little caddies I showed you in the previous post are those discs and sandpaper that are "in the system" and being used up.

ooc

Attachments

• Power lock disc storage (2).JPG
    Power lock disc storage (2).JPG
    90 KB · Views: 122
  • sandpaper storage (2).JPG
    sandpaper storage (2).JPG
    93 KB · Views: 112

Odie,
That looks to be a pretty good idea! I may have to try something like it for my mess on top of my toolbox - half the time I can't find any sandpaper for all the used paper on top!

BTW - Happy Birthday! You're only 5 months older than I am.:D
Kurt

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,
That looks to be a pretty good idea! I may have to try something like it for my mess on top of my toolbox - half the time I can't find any sandpaper for all the used paper on top!

BTW - Happy Birthday! You're only 5 months older than I am.:D
Kurt

Hey, thanks Kurt.......

It's the big SIX ZERO for me!

Even the margarine tub worked to keep the used sandpaper all in one spot. The only trouble with that was you have to sort through what's in there when you're looking for a particular grit.......that's not all that much of a hassle, but having the caddy with slots is a better alternative.......only have to grab what's in the slot and choose one that looks like it'll do you best for your current needs. :cool2:

ooc

Here is my attempt to organize my sanding disks. This is a first try and I am looking for suggestions to improve. I like this format as it is easy to put a disk on the holder as they are all stored with the velcro side up. Also I can stack it up, put rubber bands around it and take it to school.

Attachments

• Open.jpg
    Open.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 74
  • closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 47

odie

TOTW Team
Here is my attempt to organize my sanding disks. This is a first try and I am looking for suggestions to improve. I like this format as it is easy to put a disk on the holder as they are all stored with the velcro side up. Also I can stack it up, put rubber bands around it and take it to school.

Thanks for adding your ideas, fredturn......

Looks like a great idea to me! :)

ooc

Back