• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #22

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Have you ever picked up an infrequently used lathe tool and wondered how much use it's seen since it's last been sharpened? Should it be sharpened, or not? For many years, I've been sharpening every tool I use every time I use it. Sometimes I've been sharpening tools that really don't need to be sharpened at all.

.....And test cutting doesn't really tell you how well your tool COULD be cutting......it only tells you how well it IS cutting. For those of you who will test cut and say it's cutting good enough, the previous statement is an important thing to consider.......those of us who have a little time under our belts, know darn well that "good enough" is just an excuse for not finding....."better"! :D

I have been using binder clips to show which tools have seen minimal use since it was last sharpened. This won't help much for those tools you use frequently, but for those you use only occasionally, it can, at the minimum, DOUBLE the life of that tool.......not to mention that it'll not only save you money on tool costs, but save you time by not sharpening tools that don't need sharpening.

OOC

The tools in the photo with spring clips attached, do not need sharpening......and I'll KNOW this, no matter how long it's been since it's last been used.

Attachments

• spring clips reminder (2).JPG
    spring clips reminder (2).JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I do something similar with my chain saw collection. They hang by their handles on a Christmas-tree affair, with plastic donuts (cut from the tops of milk/juice bottles) on the supporting dowels; inboard indicates OK to use, outboard indicates a need for sharpening. On cutting projects, I switch saws to maintain production, and sharpen a bunch of them in a marathon session when needed.

Joe

Back