• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #20

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Merry Christmas!

Chuck sizing chart.......

I'm willing to bet many of you turners have already done this......but, in case you haven't, here's a nudge to get you going! :D This is extremely useful information to have, and eliminates any guesswork.

I have three Oneway Stronghold chucks with Mega Jumbo Jaws, standard jaws #2, #3, #4, plus #1, #2, #3 tower jaws.......of course, it really doesn't make any difference what chuck you use to benefit from making up a sizing chart.

In order to make one up you'll have to install and measure the operating limits of each set of jaws you have.....both internal and external. This may be a bit of a hassle, but once you have that information written down, it'll be done and never needs to be done again. You'll find yourself referring to this information over and over again.

otis of cologne

Note: See odie's crazy idea #15 for companion information about chuck jaw gauges to be used directly on the lathe.

Attachments

• Chuck sizing chart (2).JPG
    Chuck sizing chart (2).JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Chuck Caddy (2).jpg
    Chuck Caddy (2).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Good idea, otis. You're right about having to install each set of jaws to acquire the actual dimensions; data are otherwise hard to get. Some folks use templates like open-end wrenches (spanners) for the "perfect" size, but "perfect" doesn't always work best.

I made a set of templates to illustrate the ranges for my two chucks - a Nova Compac and a Grizz. It could get out of control if I had more chucks, i.e. when/if.

Joe <2007_11_25/55

Attachments

• 100_0055.JPG
    100_0055.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 65
An excellent idea and I like Joe's as well. If you don't want to go to the trouble of installing jaws to measure you can get the measurements for most of the popular chucks from most of the turning catalogs.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hey, thanks for adding that, Joe......

I believe I've seen your templates before. I think you've got an equally good idea there, and I'll bet someone will decide to make a set of templates along your suggestion.

It looks like you will use that directly on the lathe......and in that respect, is similar to my "odie's crazy idea #15", shown on this forum previously. I call these my "chuck jaw gauges". (see photo below) Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=5061

Again, great idea, Joe. You've just proven (as many have done on the AAW forums in the past) that there is more than one way to "skin the cat"! :cool2:

Has anyone else applied their ideas along these lines.....and would like to show us?

otis of cologne

Attachments

• chuck jaw gauges (2).jpg
    chuck jaw gauges (2).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 50
Back