• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #2

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
For those of you who make bowls with an inward slanting wall, you know how bothersome it is to continually stop the lathe to remove shavings that build up inside. Well, about a dozen years ago, I had this idea of adding an air blast to the troublesome area. I made up this flexible steel line with a straight nozzle soldered to the end. There is a valve, in-line, where I can adjust the air pressure to the level needed. I added a magnetic mount to the flexible line.....it's versatile, and I can quickly put it in any position on the lathe I want.

You need to start the air flow before the shavings build up. That way they are constantly being removed.

This thing works, gentlemen!

After awhile, since I only have a 20gallon compressor tank, it begins spitting condensation.....this is because of the constant air flow. The air within the hose begins to heat up and acts like the Kool-aid pitcher! I have put in an air separator at the compressor, but it only partially succeeds. For those of you who have a larger air compressor tank, you won't have this problem at all. Nevertheless, it will work for about 1/2 hour before the condensation begins spitting onto your bowl.

(Note: I don't know why I feel compelled to point this out, because this is just political correctness crap....but when I say "gentlemen", of course, that includes you ladies, too! :cool2: After all, you are known as "craftsmen"....right? !!!!)

....Otis of Cologne

Attachments

• chip removal (2).jpg
    chip removal (2).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Back