• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #15

Is this information helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Soooooo, which set of Stronghold jaws is right for the piece you currently have on the lathe? How do you know in an instant?

With these chuck jaw guides.....that's how!

One is for spigot, and the other is for recess. As some of you know, there is some overlap of jaw application, and there is a small "no man's land" where none of the jaws will fit. (It's pretty aggravating to accidentally cut a tenon that doesn't work with any of the jaws.....later on ! Grrrrrr!) The little colored red area is the NML......

The chuck jaw guides are used by placing it up against the foot of the bowl. One of these indexes from the right side, and the other indexes from the left side. This really doesn't matter which side you index from, and when I made the second one, I wasn't really thinking about making them exactly the same. You might find one side more useful than the other, and if so, let us know why.

I can instantly know exactly how big to cut a tenon, or recessed expansion groove to the exact size I'll need later on.......easy as pie! These chuck jaw guides are equally as useful, if the tenon, or recess needs to be trued later. I can easily match the tenon/recess to a specific set of jaws I'll want to use.

Materials used: Just a couple of scrap pieces of wood from the scrap pile. I drilled a hole and attached a piece of string for hanging on a nail next to the lathe.

otis of cologne

Attachments

• chuck jaw gauges (2).jpg
    chuck jaw gauges (2).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
It isn't immediately clear what you're depicting here. Or at least how the various ranges work together. Here's a set of fixed calipers I made from HDPE a while back, showing ranges of jaw positions for 3 jaws of a Grizzly H6265 and a Nova Compac (the one with smaller range). The idea could be adapted for any other chucks and in almost any material. None of them identifies the sweet spot, though, and that might be more useful, i.e. more limited range.

Joe

Attachments

• 7V5.JPG
    7V5.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 73

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Great idea Odie. I always use a tennon so what I did was to cut a half circle in a board with the maximum and minimum tennon diameters for the jaws. When I cut the tennon I just check the size by sliding the board over the tennon. Sorry no pics.

Yep, I kinda figured some of you had other ways of "skinnin the cat"!

otis of cologne

Back