• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova Mercury

Website
www.mypeoplepc.com
They are still making it. There just aren't any distributors in the US as far as I know. Supposedly you can contact them directly and purchase direct from the US warehouse. I've thought about purchasing several and becoming a distributor for them, but haven't had the time to fiddle with the idea yet. But, try contacting them directly at the site listed in the above post.

Nova Mercury Mini Lathe

I don't know who still sells these lathes, but I purchased one with the 12" extension last fall. It has about four hours of turniing time on it, and I am not using it as I thought I might. I have it FOR SALE in Pineville, MO, and am asking $295.00 for it (buyer picks up or pays for shipping). I can be reached at m1do@aol.com or I am listed in the AAW directory for Missouri.

Thanks.

Mark Ost

How is the power of the 1/2 hp Nova Mercury vs. Jet Mini, Delta Midi and other small lathes? Does the variable speed rob much umph?

I'm thinking of buying the Mercury but wanted to hear from anyone who had experience so I wouldn't make a mistake.

Thanks,

Paul

Website
www.mypeoplepc.com
Mercury

I've not used the others. I can, however, stall the mercury at any moment. At the same time, I stall my ShopSmith lathe regularly as well. A sharp tool and a reasonable cut takes care of any problems I might have. I don't believe you'll have any problems with it.

The step pullied machines are a bit of a pain to change speeds with but have good power. I have a Jet mini and have to really work at stalling it. Can change speeds in about 15-30 seconds. No big deal really and the extra money can get ya a chuck!

Dietrich

Back