• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Notice to International Members of the AAW

The printer for American Woodturner journal has advised us of an error they made with coordinating the labels and ballots for all international overseas members of the AAW. (This does not affect Canadian members.) Because the mailing labels were not matched up with the ballots inserted into the journal, virtually all international members will end up with a ballot that has someone else’s name on it.

We have determined that the best solution is to simply have all international members vote with the ballot that they currently have in hand. Doing so will ensure that no extra ballots are printed and no one votes twice. So, when international members vote, simply use the ballot that is in your journal and ignore the name on the ballot. An outside audit firm has been contracted by AAW to count only ballots with a name and membership number imprinted.

Your vote will be counted.

AAW’s intention is to have this election be fair and legal and we believe this solution will ensure that happens. We very much appreciate your understanding and good will.

The printer, R.R. Donnelley sincerely apologizes for this error and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Donnelley will be sending letters (at their expense and by priority mail) to all international members with an explanation of the error. Additionally, an email to all international members will be sent this week.

Thank you for being a member of the American Association of Woodturners! We look forward to continuing our relationship for many years to come.

What about the members who did not get the ballot?

The printer for American Woodturner journal has advised us of an error they made with coordinating the labels and ballots for all international overseas members of the AAW. (This does not affect Canadian members.) Because the mailing labels were not matched up with the ballots inserted into the journal, virtually all international members will end up with a ballot that has someone else’s name on it.

We have determined that the best solution is to simply have all international members vote with the ballot that they currently have in hand. Doing so will ensure that no extra ballots are printed and no one votes twice. So, when international members vote, simply use the ballot that is in your journal and ignore the name on the ballot. An outside audit firm has been contracted by AAW to count only ballots with a name and membership number imprinted.

Your vote will be counted.

AAW’s intention is to have this election be fair and legal and we believe this solution will ensure that happens. We very much appreciate your understanding and good will.

The printer, R.R. Donnelley sincerely apologizes for this error and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Donnelley will be sending letters (at their expense and by priority mail) to all international members with an explanation of the error. Additionally, an email to all international members will be sent this week.

Thank you for being a member of the American Association of Woodturners! We look forward to continuing our relationship for many years to come.

Ed,

It could be that a number of members, like myself who have yet to receive their AAW journal, will not even get a ballot to vote, unless I am missing something here.

I do not like someone else casting a ballot in my name, just in case my ballot is one that got sent to the wrong place! My vote is my vote... how is this mistake going to be addressed? Is this something that only affects the international members, and not the members in the USA? If so, that would render my question not applicable. Thanks for updating with additional information when you get it.

Last edited:
Roger,

The printer's mistake affects international AAW members outside North America. It's my understanding that's a little over 300 people. Beyond that, you'll need to contact the St Paul office for more info - I'm only the messenger.

Roger,

The printer's mistake affects international AAW members outside North America. It's my understanding that's a little over 300 people. Beyond that, you'll need to contact the St Paul office for more info - I'm only the messenger.

Thanks Ed,

No intention to shoot the messenger ;) but I appreciate you getting back to me, and I guess this whole summer has been pretty much an upheaval, but we will just let that one lay!

Back