• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

No more Pseudonyms - real names only please

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Effective immediately, all new registrations will be required to use their real name or some resemblance to it.

We are asking you (yes, for now a volunteer basis) to email forum_moderator@aawforum.org and we can change your log in name to a new one.

While we do anticipate this may be an issue for people named John Smith and such, we also feel that it will create a real sense of community instead of using screen names.

For a long time, we have grown at a rapid pace to become a community of greater than 4000 registered users and this will help us in the next steps and eventually to link to the actual AAW members database down the road. Currently, there is no link.

Last edited:
OK, Steve. I frankly don't see what the elimination of pseudonyms accomplishes, a rose by any other name is still a rose, but never let it be said that I am non-compliant.
I always figured my signature pretty much took the slack out of any confusion as to who I really might be.

names

tried to send email got this reply:

When trying to deliver your message, the mail server at mailgate10.sitestar.net encountered
problems with the following addresses:

For <forum_moderator@aawfourm.org>, Invalid Domain (aawfourm.org)

For a more detailed explanation see http://netwinsite.com/surgemail/deliver_failed.htm

email: incorrect address

Steve: you need to correct the spelling of your email in your post above which now is:forum_moderator@aawfourm.org. It should read: forum_moderator@aawforum.org. There are those who will not reply should you not do so.

Bill

But what if one likes his/her sign-in name? Will there be an alternative, such as use of real name in signature line, or both names in sign-in line? Or just included in the members’ list?

Mine has been with me for more than 15 years, off and on. See attached picture of the door to my shop.

On another forum (700+ posts) my name is semi-fictitious, as they wanted a “real name†and there was reason not to use real name when I joined (their date is wrong). Attempted to change to real name, but unable to do so, but added my avatar (Christine Cat), and use the same signature line as here, so folks know who it is.

Just some thoughts.

Attachments

• Texian Country.JPG
    Texian Country.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 49
I like my nick name, and will keep it even if forced to change. I will still sign off as .....
robo hippy

I support the idea, I know that people are much more civil when using their real names.

E-mail sent! :D

I don't know if people will behave any better. In the past months there has been a few venomous/uncivil statements from posters using their real name (or at least their real name is commonly known). It seems that it is the same few folks with a burr under their saddle getting everyone riled.

I've been using my real name all along, because it forces me to be civil (or almost civil!), and also is easier to remember than some clever nickname I might forget - hard enough to remember my password.

But I see a couple hiccups on the horizon:

Usernames are displayed with respect to the database, including ancient threads - also applies to subtitles and avatars; that's built-in to VBulletin as far as I know. I'm not sure if it also applies to quoted posts. Text references to the old names will be confusing for quite a while, at least for ancient threads. Perhaps a translation table could be provided within the Members List for those who agree to the translation? This would best be implemented as soon as possible, before the translation grows very much. Google [vbulletin forum] to see what features/options are available.

Real-appearing aliases will be subject to abuse, but we may just have to live with that. Some of the "names" on SMC look suspicious. Might even have somebody called "Elmer Fudd" IIRC; OTOH, it might be his real name - stranger things have happened.

Joe

Bummer

Everyone I wish to reveal myself to knows Truffuls is me. It is my turning studio name. I am Truffuls and Truffuls is me. My entire online persona is tied to Truffuls.

I do not like putting my real name in a public forum for several reasons that are extremely important to me, none of which involves my tone when interacting in an online forum.

Now, if you restrict this forum to MEMBERS of AAW only and not allow it to be viewed by the entire planet, I would feel much more comfortable putting my name out there.

If you are willing to protect my identity from prying planet wide eyes, I'll change my ID. Otherwise, I leave for a more protected environment. Damn shame too, cause this was one of the better forums for a woodturner.

While we do anticipate this may be an issue for people named John Smith and such, we also feel that it will create a real sense of community instead of using screen names.

For a long time, we have grown at a rapid pace to become a community of greater than 4000 registered users and this will help us in the next steps and eventually to link to the actual AAW members database down the road. Currently, there is no link.

I don't think real names or pseudonyms will have any effect the sense of community. AWW's occasional, but apparent, support of controversial political views and the following discourse on the forum do more to counteract any possible "sense of community" benefits from using real names.

If you want to link the databases, why not use our membership number as a key field to link the databases together. That would avoid names like "John Smith 19283". You or the member could decide whether or not to show the number in the public profile.

Frank

Last edited:
Pseudonyms offer some personal protection in the cyberworld. Lets say there is a thread about shops and work spaces. Many photos are posted. Then, some unscrupulous character sees the pics of "Joe Blow's" shop. "Joe" has about $250,000 worth of machinery and wood inventory which are very obvious in the photos. The "Bad Guy" then does a Google search for "Joe Blow" woodworker and finds out where his shop is from Joe's website. The "Bad Guy" also finds out that "Joe" is on the road for a month doing art fairs. The "Bad Guy" then knows exactly when and where to back up the truck and clean out the shop.

If you don't think things like this happen......Think Again!

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Pseudonyms offer some personal protection in the cyberworld. Lets say there is a thread about shops and work spaces. Many photos are posted. Then, some unscrupulous character sees the pics of "Joe Blow's" shop. "Joe" has about $250,000 worth of machinery and wood inventory which are very obvious in the photos. The "Bad Guy" then does a Google search for "Joe Blow" woodworker and finds out where his shop is from Joe's website. The "Bad Guy" also finds out that "Joe" is on the road for a month doing art fairs. The "Bad Guy" then knows exactly when and where to back up the truck and clean out the shop.

If you don't think things like this happen......Think Again!

I think it does happen, but the incidence is low, at least as far as I can tell. We have hundreds of people come by our house, sometimes all at once, and nothing has been stolen yet. I lost an inexpensive live center at one of the picnics, but the unclaimed tools left behind put me into a net gain position!

I get frustrated dealing with people at times who insist on a screen name only, and then expect me to recognize them by their screen name because they recognize me by my real name. I can't tell you how many emails I get that are unsigned, and the email address is something like jrzsg764@blahblah.net, but they think because they mentioned their name once I have it fixed in memory forever. Heck, I call my kids the wrong names sometimes!

Having real names helps a lot with that, and while posting a real name may or may not help someone be more civil, in my experience is usually works out in a positive way.

And truffuls, if you have a studio and are doing business, I would think you would want your name out there as much as possible. Even if you don't, if someone wants to get to you, all they need is to become a customer and work their way in.

...I do not like putting my real name in a public forum ... If you are willing to protect my identity from prying planet wide eyes, I'll change my ID. Otherwise, I leave for a more protected environment. Damn shame too, cause this was one of the better forums for a woodturner.

Melissa, it took about 15 seconds to find your full name from the information you have already spread world wide on the web. If you are really serious about wanting to remain anonymous you better change your real name to something else and then change your web habits.

Ed

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I do not like putting my real name in a public forum for several reasons that are extremely important to me, none of which involves my tone when interacting in an online forum.
If you are willing to protect my identity from prying planet wide eyes, I'll change my ID. Otherwise, I leave for a more protected environment. Damn shame too, cause this was one of the better forums for a woodturner.

While I understand your motives XXXXX XXXXXX, finding your real name, place of employment (although it could be you have retired, I didn't finish digging), comments you have made at public hearings, etc, etc, etc; was not at all difficult.

I did this research based strictly based on starting with the signature line on your post.

I suggest, if privacy is your concern, start at home.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Effective immediately, all new registrations will be required to use their real name or some resemblance to it.

Question. Does the Ham Radio call, I (and several others) use count as "some resemblance".

I would suggest it does, as it narrows down "who we are" much better then a name.

TTFN
Ralph

Question. Does the Ham Radio call, I (and several others) use count as "some resemblance".

Good point, Ralph. I don't use my amateur radio call for that very reason. I understand that it's not difficult to obtain information about individuals with a variety of Internet resources, I just don't feel like I want to make it as easy a dialing AT&T Information.
It appears this is an administrative decision and not something that's being put to a vote. I don't own the web site, or the forum, so I either comply of go somewhere else. I think our members should understand that point. Making free choices is one of the nicer aspects of living in a free society.

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Everyone I wish to reveal myself to knows Truffuls is me. It is my turning studio name. I am Truffuls and Truffuls is me. My entire online persona is tied to Truffuls.

Now, if you restrict this forum to MEMBERS of AAW only and not allow it to be viewed by the entire planet, I would feel much more comfortable putting my name out there.

Since you post your website address, I assume it isn't spammers or identity theft you are worried about. In that regard, even those won't work on automated programs. Posting your real name isn't even going to matter. It is the email address thsat screen scraping software allegedly copies. But to that end, it is pretty bunk anyway. My email is plastered all over the web and I get spam, but that's what filters in the email software are for anyway, you just have to minotor it and see that only those who should get trapped, not me (the others I don't care so much about ;)
as far as protecting it from pryng eyes, even with the admin password, I would only get your email address, IP address and your hobbies. That is the benefot of being disconnected from the AAW database, to which we don't have access.

Yeah, I know that wasn't entirely your worry, and I am only really troubled by screen names when people are trying to hide behind them.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com

No, the only HAM I speak is bacon, and it is delicious. (However, I do recognize that HAMMERS have a definite place and serve a noble place in society).

But I have also requested you change user names and not (yet) mandated.
Having the same name as in the AAW database will some day serve a purpose.

Wrong person

While I understand your motives XXXXX XXXXXX, finding your real name, place of employment (although it could be you have retired, I didn't finish digging), comments you have made at public hearings, etc, etc, etc; was not at all difficult.

I did this research based strictly based on starting with the signature line on your post.

I suggest, if privacy is your concern, start at home.

??Public hearings??? Whomever you think you found, you got the wrong person. I don't go to Public hearings. I Googled "Truffuls" and my sig line and my full name doesn't appear in any of the resulting links.

So, for nybsn and the rest of you, you're off base. And why you felt the need to get rude is beyond me.

??

Since you post your website address, I assume it isn't spammers or identity theft you are worried about. In that regard, even those won't work on automated programs. Posting your real name isn't even going to matter. It is the email address thsat screen scraping software allegedly copies. But to that end, it is pretty bunk

Of course I post my URL, but even my website does not contain my full name.

Yea, if you want to spend time and effort to find out who I am you can. Hell I can spend $14.95 and get a full background check on you right now if I want to, but that was not the point. I simply feel more comfortable in a public forum using my screen name. There are already too many ways to have oneself abused online.

Of course I post my URL, but even my website does not contain my full name.

Your website may not post your full name, but you provide links to websites that do. 3 clicks from the AAW website brings up your full name.

With your name (which unfortunately for you is not a very common name) and general location information, lots of information is easily accessible at no cost without even really trying.

I think you greatly underestimate how exposed you are, but maybe it's not as big an issue as you think. If it is a big issue, then at a minimum you should purge the links on your website that provide a path to your full name.

Anyway, just trying to be helpful here and not looking to hurt your feelings or cause problems.

Ed

Last edited:
Website
www.torne-lignum.com
I totally support this. I like the name my mother gave me......and my ex-husband! :eek: The following are the observations and opinions of one old lady:

Harvey's right about a few people just have a burr under their saddle, they probably have it in real life, too, after you read enough posts by someone, you accept them for who they are. BUT, seriously Harvey, worry more about your neighbors, their nephews, telling everyone in their card club what you have in your shop and when you're gone. Any thief who searches every shop posted hoping one might be within 100 miles of him....well?!?!

Truffuls, et.al., My credit card was "stolen", even though it never left my possession, from paying my phone bill online! IF you're worried about protecting your ID, location, family, ?, never use the internet, especially email and don't use a credit card ever, anywhere.
If you have the best security system protecting your home, a professional thief could not care less about getting in, that's the way of the world today on the internet. Personally, 99.9% of "us" don't have the time, desire nor ability to deep-throat search people, we just want to say, "yeah, I know Melissa XXXXXX, she's really nice and does great work".

Oh, Bill.......oops, I mean John Smith, can I ever relate to people thinking you should recognize them by screen names, one guy even wanted me to charge his credit card using his sig name......................cut me a break!

Conclusion, everyone lives with their own quirks, feelings and worries. I just like people for who they really are and what their mother named them.........don't even think about calling me "Ruthie", only my Mom's allowed to do that. :D

Ruth Niles

Harvey's right about a few people just have a burr under their saddle, they probably have it in real life, too, after you read enough posts by someone, you accept them for who they are. BUT, seriously Harvey, worry more about your neighbors, their nephews, telling everyone in their card club what you have in your shop and when you're gone. Any thief who searches every shop posted hoping one might be within 100 miles of him....well?!?!

Ruth Niles

Ruth, I'm just sayin'. There are professional burglary networks out there that are looking for any opportunity for a score. I always worry about the knuckehead nephew of some neighbor that needs some cash to scoop up a couple rocks of crack. Ya just never know.

There are other forums that I visit (which are non-wood) and nearly everyone posts under a moniker. There is never hostilities or rude behavior because the host/owner will not put up with it. Posts or threads will be deleted or locked if things appear to be getting out of hand.Your account will be suspended in a heartbeat for borish behavior. I notice that on this forum, things can quickly spiral out of control and moderators won't step in for 4 or 5 pages of posts. Remember the recent politically charged threads. These threads should have been locked down as soon as the timbre of the discussion heated up. On the other non-wood forum that I referred to, political and religious discussion are strictly taboo in order to avoid situations like the ones that have reared their ugly head recently.

Cheers!
H.

...... I am only really troubled by screen names when people are trying to hide behind them.

Steve,

I don't see how using real names solves linking the forum database with the AAW database because names are not unique (i.e. John Smith, etc.) That's why I suggested in a previous post addiing a field for registrants on the forum to include their membership number. Presumably the number is unique and that's how you link the databases.

As far as people trying to hide behind screen names. Who's doing that? What are they hiding? Why do you think they're hiding? Why do you care? If someone is set on posting anonymously, they'd just use a fake name.

While I personally don't have a problem using my real name, I respect and understand why some would feel uncomfortable. I thing the forum moderators should respect that also. There are crazy people trolling the internet and unfortunately some may read this forum regularly. And as we know, it only takes one person, one bad incident to spoil everyone's good time.

As a compromise, why not require registrants to enter their real name to registrer, but allow them to use pseudonyms in forum. The registrant could decide how much of their profile to make public. If some does get out of line, the moderators would know who they are (unless they lied). Those who wish to remain private, for whatever reason, could still enjoy the forum.

Frank

Last edited:
I forgot to add this in my last post.

Notwithstanding the pseudonym issue (which I think is a bad idea and unnecessary), I want to acknowledge the good job the moderators have done on this forum. The absense of inappropriate posts I feel is no accident based on other forums I've visited. That I think that's a testement to the moderators' efforts.

For example:

On another forum related to wood turning, someone started marketing securities. The moderator quickly deleted the posts, but not before people complained.

Another time I was directed to a woodworking/crafts forum in the northeast. The forum had obviously been spammed. I can't repeat some of the posts or even the subjects, just that they had nothing to do with woodworking. This forum also got cleaned up eventually.

These and other examples showed me what can happen in forums and what moderators have to contend with. Kudos to all the moderators of this forum.

Frank

Website
www.abhats.com
My 'screen name' is shorthand for my full name (waltben = Walt Bennett), and is the same as my 15+ year old email address (waltben@erols.com). I also use it for a myriad of other accounts. My full name is in my profile and on my signature line. Why do we have to change our account names? (And please don't tell me it's for security purposes!)

Whats in a Name

I confess. My real name is John Smith. :cool2: Actually, I think this is a good idea.

Damn Bill...and here all this time I thought my name was john smith!!!!!

Back