• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New use for pen jaws

I was inletting part of a fly rod grip on the drill press. Somehow the inletting with the Forstner bit was off center. It didn't leave enough cork to turn to final dimensions. I got the idea to use the TechNova pen jaws to hold the cork. I tried a short piece of grip and it worked. Photo attached. This might be something others might find useful for some applications in turning. One good turn deserves another!
IMG_6634.JPG

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
John,

You should consider making a collet to hold the cork. The collet should be sized slightly smaller than the cork, but would provide even squeeze around the perimeter, reducing the risk of deforming the shape before drilling. The collet would be held in the pen jaws.

Check out Colin Hovland’s article, Wooden Collets for a Scroll Chuck, I have made a number of collets for work holding in a similar approach. It works very well, and provides two things:
  1. A faster way to make custom chuck sizes for the work holding you need, and
  2. A less expensive approach than buying a whole bunch of chuck jaws.
I wrote about this in the Ornamental Turning Book of Knowledge.

Kind regards,
Rich

Rich, the cork is turned to round, drilled, glued to the rest of the grip and turned to final shape. I don't think a collet would be necessary. I checked as I tightened the jaws to make sure there was enough grip. It is OK at long at the hole is centered for the mandrel.

Back