• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New turnings and question.

Pens%20&%20stopper.jpg

I posted this on another forum, and a reference was made that I must be reading AAW magazine. I don't understand the reference. I was thinkng of joining, but cannot find the price or application anywhere on the web. The local club is 1 1/2 hour drive so a little too far for me.

FYI top - died maple burl
bottom - Bowling ball Blank, you cannot see the full beauty of the sparkle in it

L to R Cherry with bocote band, Cherry comfort grip, Died Maple burl fountain, Ebony Fountain, Zebra designer pen, and Red palm Gemini.

I did find a trick to finishing ebony. Rubbing then polishing compound for automotive finishing. It works great and leaves a beautiful finish.

Since you are here, just click on the logos on the top left corner. That will take you to the AAW home page. On the left side is a column, one line saying "how to join". This is a great organization and the quarterly journal is worth the admission. There are also some excellent media aides to turning that you can buy at a member's discount. I hope you will consider joining us.
Blessing,
David Galloway
GAW

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Here is a direct link to the sign up page.

http://www.woodturner.org/org/mbrship/

It is $35.00 a year. And in my opinion, it is a real bargain. Not only do you get four issues of the magazine, but the resource directory is fantastic. With it, you can look up other members in your area. Who knows, you may even have enough local turners to start a new chapter.

I am in the same position as you. My closest chapter is an hour and a half away. We have had the first meeting for a new local club that is only 15 minutes from my place. We should be sending in the paper work for a new AAW chapter soon.

Best wishes,
Dave

http://www.bowlturner.com

Website
www.dickgerard.com
When I first thought about a group or association of turners way back in 1985, one of the first things that came to mind is to learn where everbody lived so that, if they were friendly, we could travel the country and always be near someone who shared our insanity ... er... I mean passion. And I have heard that it actually works that way.

Now, nearly 20 years later, AAW members can pretty much travel the world and find turners willing to host them or at least let you visit their shop/studio.

Come to think of it, I don't think we have chapters in Antarctica yet ... but who knows? Lack of trees I suppose.

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
bowlman said:
When I first thought about a group or association of turners way back in 1985, one of the first things that came to mind is to learn where everbody lived so that, if they were friendly, we could travel the country and always be near someone who shared our insanity ... er... I mean passion. And I have heard that it actually works that way.

I travel quite a bit on business around the USA and thought exactly that way too. So, last week I made a map so that I can try to match up area clubs with where I'll be. I posted it online here...

http://www.woodturnersofswmo.org/AAWClubsMap.htm

Back