• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Toys arrived

Need final honing.
155099362_4436759733007738_4533153474731316725_o.jpg

Perry, love your new toys! I’m jealous.
In comparison to the Russian videos that I have seen on you tube, these tools are very short. They look like they will work with our western tool rests but with smaller projects. Enjoy them and please continue to share your thoughts after you use them.

I really need to explore hook tools. Noticed that the turner in the video had his beveled on both sides and cut with both edges. Would love to see the nose profile of the gouge he drilled the center hole with... I did notice that the tools in the video did have ferules on them, but your set doesn't have them. I guess you could put them on if you wanted. Now, I am trying to remember if the Japanese turning tools have ferules on them....

robo hippy

The boring tool did not come with the set. Years ago, I attended a historical thing in Eastern PA and there was a guy drilling small logs lengthwise for use as water pipe. The drill he used had sort of a round spade bit on one side from the center to the edge there was a sharpened blade (sharpened with bevel on the inside) that would cut through the end grain of the wood. On the other side from center to edge was back a fraction of an inch to just ride on the contour cut by the cutting edge and keep things true. The Russian boring tool must work on the same principle. I was not able to find a picture of such an auger on line, but I found a diagram of a log drilling operation and the bits used then.
c299a986ddca645d2fc913cc82039d72.jpg

From watching Roy Underhill on PBS, he had spoon bits that he used for drilling. Looked kind of like a continental style SRG, but would drill fairly straight.... Another thing to research. I have been able to use some spindle detail type gouges and kind of drill a hole...

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have a couple of spoon bits. They are designed to drill a hole at an angle. You start square to the wood and then gradually angle the Brace until you get the angle you want and then keep on drilling. Mostly used for Windsor chairs. I bought them after taking a class from Curtiss Buchannan.

Back