• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Toy Up and Running - Thoughts

Website
www.docwks.com
Finally got my belt grinder up and running. 2hp 230v 3450 rpm, currently with 220 grit sand paper. I hope Doug T. doesn't shoot me for trying it on one of his tools! :) It really puts a wonderful edge on my skews also. Has anyone else tried this? I'm not giving up my wheel grinder, but it does seems to work well and very quiet.
Bill

Toy 1
Toy 2

Last edited:

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Bill,

Congratulations on the grinder. It takes some getting used to, but it's a great addition to a shop.

I've had a Bader III variable speed belt grinder with an 8" hard rubber wheel in my little shop for about 12 years. I originally intended it for knifemaking, but that got "revectored". I adapted it for sharpening lathe tools by adding a Nova Sharp Center (a OneWay wolverine didn't easily clear the bottom of the belt)

The ability to change belts quickly/trivially is a blessing. I have belts from 32 grit to a few microns. It's also nice to adjust the belt so it runs off the edge of the wheel slightly, giving you a "soft" edge area of the belt.

I also have a flat platen for the grinder, so I can configure it in many ways... very flexible.

My wife sharpens on a slow speeed 8" bench grinder, and we both enjoy using a JoolTool. So there are may ways to put an edge on a tool, and it's nice to see the belt grinder starting to get some notice from the woodturners.

Attachments

• nova_sharp_2.jpg
    nova_sharp_2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 79
  • nova_sharp_5.jpg
    nova_sharp_5.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 72
Website
www.docwks.com
You are talking about the KMG belt grinder. Yes, but this one comes as a kit, (polarbearforge dot com)about $260-350 for the steel and then you put it together and supply motor etc. I have about $700 in this one and a lot of lessons learned. I also have another arm I need to put together that gives you a flat veritcal platen to work with and I'm ordering a contact wheel that's 1" and 5/8" so when I make tool rests the post will butt up against the "rest" and be easier to weld. I also make carving knives, for me, and this will replace my cheap $25 belt grinder. Oh and does it sharpen kitchen knives? Oh man had them all done in less than 10 minutes, momma is very happy. I also have a tormek. If I had to only have one? I would get the belt grinder. I'm not giving up my 8" wheel grinder though. The tormek may get sold.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
James,

There are several manufacturers of belt grinders, often marketed to knifemakers. Yes, my Bader III retails for around $2k, but built like a tank and will last a lifetime.

Back