1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forum migration is complete. We had some issues with the hosting provider and I had to restore the server a 2nd time so if you happened to post from about 9:30pm - 11pm PST your post may have been removed. Please double check to see if its still there. If you have any issues post them in the technical support forum or email the AAW Forum Staff at forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Supernova2 PRO-TEC Chuck Bundle Arrived

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Tom De Winter, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    4E7FC7BC-6084-44C6-8108-39CA1A1E8AD3.jpeg My new Supernova2 PRO-TEC Chuck arrived yesterday from WoodworkerSpecialties (woodworkerspecialities.biz). I’m excited to give it a spin.

The 50mm jaws have been redesigned with a real dovetail and a serrated section at the rear. Though I’ve never lost a piece off the old jaws I have had work start to come out.
    The 100mm and 130mm jaws do not have the serrated section, but they do have a very deep dovetail.

Machining and finish look great. The scrolling action is smooth.

4E7FC7BC-6084-44C6-8108-39CA1A1E8AD3.jpeg

0E4B333A-3633-49CF-8A54-AB57626C7B2D.jpeg

D6936900-2F66-4718-B705-9145AD94E438.jpeg

86E40DBF-9C50-4770-AAEB-359F69DC9AB7.jpeg

314ADFDC-A04A-4BC8-820B-A38933F9DB1B.jpeg

2. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Location (City & State):
    Funen, Denmark
    Congratulation with the new toy. Xmas came early? Seem to remember reading, that the scroll in the new model now closes the jaws when turning the handle clockwise, is that so?

3. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    Yes, Righty - Tighty. I won't have habits to overcome as I've been using an old Nova tommy bar style. I'd just figured out how to remember which way to go with it. ;)

Christmas, well maybe. But at my stage of life it I want need something I don't wait for a special occasion to get it. I just have to keep from wanting too much!

GRJensen likes this.
  4. GRJensen

GRJensen

Location (City & State):
    Bay Settlement, WI
    I have seen a couple of videos on this new series of chuck from Nova. Look pretty good, but I wonder if they are compatible with older Nova jaw sets? I have 2 G3's, 2 Infinity's, and a Titan, and a pile of jaw sets that have been retrofitted with the Infinity slides.

5. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    I haven't verified with my old jaws yet, but they state that it "Chuck is compatible with all nova jaws" - "Excluding jaws that are specific for Nova Titan chucks."

I'm not familiar with Infinity's.

6. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    Infiniti chucks have add on pieces that will allow you to adapt your chuck to infiniti jaws. For a fact the Infiniti is a Supernova with those pieces on it from the factory.

Tom De Winter likes this.
  7. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    Can these still be bought? Nova has dicontinued the Infinity chucks.

8. Glenn Lefley

Glenn Lefley

Location (City & State):
    Invermere, British Columbia
    Lots of companies have them on sale right now , older stock, .
    Infinity chucks that is.

9. GRJensen

GRJensen

Location (City & State):
    Bay Settlement, WI
    For a time several years ago, Nova sold a set of slides you could use to retrofit Supernova chucks to use the Infinity jaws. Those disappeared a couple of years ago, but you could still buy the kits to retrofit older jaw sets to use the Infinity slides (I retro'd several older jaw sets to use with my Infinity chucks). I don't know if there was some sort of safety issue with the Infinity system or if it just didn't sell, but I like the quick-change functionality.

10. Timothy White

Timothy White

Location (City & State):
    McKinney,Texas
    The old nova jaw slides probably won’t work in the new chuck and visa versa. The scroll has to be machined opposite rotation the jaw slides must be machined opposite also. It might be possible to change the scroll rings and slides and up date an old style chuck

11. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    Now that Nova has gone and made the scroll function operate "backwards" on the new chucks, I'm thinking of picking up a third Super Nova 2 while the old ones are still available. Rockler has them on sale till the end of the month.

Timothy White likes this.
  12. Russell Nugent

Russell Nugent

Location (City & State):
    Bashaw, Alberta
    I just grabbed one last week.

13. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Penrose, NC

"Backward"...like on my Vicmarc chucks..?:D. Something new to get used to for us I suppose. I have a mix of Nova and Vicmarc - and invariably start turning the wrong direction, then reverse to tighten loosen...:rolleyes: