• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New noise from the lathe

Hi there Everyone,
I gues the question breaks down to this: What does a bearing that is going out sound like on a lathe?

I have a new noise in my lathe. It is a clicking noise that happens when the lathe is turned on in either direction. I have felt the head stock after the lathe has been running for awhile and it does not feel like the bearings are getting hot or anything like that.

It can't go out on me now :eek:- I have a bunch of new wood that I am roughing out and I do not have time to fix the lathe. Summer finally decided to arrive here and the wood will not last too long - although it is supposed to get cooler tomorrow and for awhile. I am going to keep turning and trying to find out what the noise is. I just thought someone out there would have ideas.
Thanks.
Hugh

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Hugh,

I have heard reports from other turners on the same thing. It has usually been a loose set screw on one of the sheaves/pulley. I would check this first. You don't say which lathe you have, but some have a double set screw on them to lock down the pully.

I would check at both the spindle and the motor.

It has been my experience that if it is a bearing it will feel really rough when you turn it by hand.

Good luck,

Dave

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
I've had the same problem for about 2 years

I have a Jet 1642 and I've had a clicking noise off and on for about two years. I've learned to like it.:) After replacing both bearings and checking every possible cause, I called JET Tech Support. Had several conversations. They finally pointed me to the page in the book that tells how to tighten the belts. It seems I had been tightening the belts too much. Did it like the book says and the clicking immediately went away for quite a while. A similar clicking/grinding/grunting noise has come back and I have not been able to find a clue as to what is causing it. It happens most when I put a lot of tailstock pressure on the spindle. But it's just not consistent enough to nail down. My best guess is I have damaged the bearing race enough to make the clicking, but not enough to cause the bearing to burn out. This was probably done with too much tailstock pressure.

Except for this clicking noise, this has been a fantastic lathe. Does everything I want or need to do. Maybe I should just wear ear plugs.:cool:

Hi there Everyone,
I gues the question breaks down to this: What does a bearing that is going out sound like on a lathe?

It sounds like the friction or flop it's there to prevent. Squeal or grind and the heat you lack for friction, click and rattle, movement even if you grab the spindle with your hand and shake for flop.

I would look to the loose grub screw first. You can use the mechanic's stethoscope (or a real one) to listen to your bearings. The mechanic puts a piece of wood or a screwdriver against bearing case and over the ear opening to transfer sound. A good one sort of swooshes.

Check to be sure that your index pin is not the culprit. Next, check the pick-up for your RPM indicator and be sure it is not touching the pins on the shaft.

what lathe

I have a powermatic 3520b and when its starts clicking I have to go in and tighten the spindle lock. It gets loose taking chucks off I guess but every 6 months or so I have to tighten it it has 2 set screws in it and a Key Way and the key way slides back and forth making the clicking sound.

I don't know what lathe you have hope this helps:)

Small world

Hi Hugh,

About one year ago my lathe did that. I have quoted below what I posted on April 1, 2009 (no joke) in the following thread (mine is Post 10):

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?p=47563#post47563

" Oneway 1224 clicking
Clicking in the headstock area was driving me crazy. I searched here and on the Oneway forum site for advice. The only set screws to check are the two on the pulley on the motors drive shaft not in the headstock area. Increasing belt tension made things louder. Cleaning out the pulley and belt groves no change.

It turned out the aluminum handwheel was only hand tightened--when I got out the spindle lock wrench and the wheel bar rod to firmly screw the wheel onto the spindle shaft, the click went away! (The wheel is aluminum so I was careful not to overtighten.)

Needless to say I am happy again.

Ann"

I included the thread link so you can read everybody's replies.
Ann

Hi there Everyone,
I have no idea what the problem is (was). I went out to the shop this morning and turned on the lathe (a Oneway 2436) - no clicking noise today. I tried MM's stick in the ear routine and still could not find any clicking. Still no heat on the bearings and now no noise - so I guess the problem is fixed. Maybe the problem was operator error:eek:.

Anyway, I was back at processing wet logs into roughed out bowls with no real problems today. I am a happy boy. Thanks for the suggestions.

I could put up with the clicking noise if it did it in time to Hot Tuna tunes.:D:D:D

thanks.
Hugh

grease

My lathe doesn't have any nipples:(
But the bottom of my bowls do

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A damaged bearing can make a wide variety of sounds. Often the first sound heard is a faint ticking sound, but a dry bearing will usully mke a rumbling sound. Belts can make sounds too so look for a worn out belt. When replacing bearings, invest in some decent snap ring pliers- the cheap ones are an invitation to frustration. Also, I have always had success in making my own bearing pullers and presses using PVC plumbing fittings along with all-thread, washers, and nuts.

Bill,
Good thoughts for checking on the belt. I will do that today. Yesterday the whole thing seemed too work and sound just fine. I am going to have to keep an eye on it. I agree on the advise of buying good tools. My father could fix anything - but he grew up during the depression and never aquired good tools. He was a patient man and made the tools he had on hand work. I on the other hand can not stand the frustration of working with improper tools. Good idea on the bearing puller also. Hopefully I will not have to replace the bearings. The belt maybe?
Hugh

Rob

Jet

Hi Hugh,

My jet does that a lot, it's always the allan set screw in the pulleys. check pulleys on either end, motor or head shaft.

Rob

Clicking sound

I had that on my Stubby last year, took awhile to figure out, but it was the two screws holding the cooling fan in the tail end of the motor. Drove me nuts until I found it and fixed it.

Back