• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Hunter hollowing tools

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
john lucas
Do you remember the hollow vessel I blew up? Mike Hunter said he had the right tools to do the job. I now have a set. They are 3/8" shaft with a Hunter #1 tip. One is called a back tool. It's the top left tool. This is for hollowing under a lip. The cutter is angled back.
The second tool is called a hook tool. The cutter is flatter. In the 3 shots in the middle you can see that it will hollow some of the bottom and all the way up to where the back tool stops.
The last tool is a straight tool. In these photos I show 2 ways of cleaning up the bottom. One is with the tool pointing to your left. The other is pointing to the right. I use the right pointing direction to clean up the center nub on my hollow vessels and vases.
The bottom shot is a group of the tools. Mike also sells a handle adaptor that fits in schedule 40PVC pipe. I turned an aluminum bottom to match the adaptor and then made the handle.
Can't wait to try them out. It will probably be later in the week after I finish the projects on the books right now.

Attachments

• Hunter-hook-tools.jpg
    Hunter-hook-tools.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 190

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I can't wait for you try them either.:cool2:

I need something to get inside the opening, across the top to the "edge" on my hemispheres.

Trent Bosch has a real nice set of adapters that would allow them to fit in most any handle or captive system.

Attachments

• Inserts copy.jpg
    Inserts copy.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Back