• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Harvey T60-S

I just received this new Harvey T60-S; I am very surprised at the fit and finish, as it is very good. What a beast! My only complaints? I think the motor may be a bit anemic for coring, but I need to try the low range for that. It does have 3 inch adjustable feet that I moved all the way up, now I am not crouching to see inside a bowl. It is so smooth running that I almost couldn't hear it; the second on off magnetic switch is nice too. Luckily my friend lent me his engine hoist, otherwise I'd have been out of luck putting this thing together. Living in the Olympics; I named it "Sasquatch 5000". My buddy Winston is not impressed.....IMG_6088.JPG IMG_6089.JPG IMG_6085.JPG

Looks really sharp, John. Somebody has given a lot of thought in the design process.

Is that the whole motor sticking out the lower left side of the headstock? Maybe the 24" swing is fooling me, but it doesn't look nearly as big as the one on my Powermatic. Also, have you looked into how you're going to hook up a vacuum? That headstock hand wheel is cool looking, but doesn't seem well suited to a vacuum adapter. (which is also an issue with the Powermatic, on which the solution has been worked out)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I just received this new Harvey T60-S; I am very surprised at the fit and finish, as it is very good. What a beast! My only complaints? I think the motor may be a bit anemic for coring, but I need to try the low range for that. It does have 3 inch adjustable feet that I moved all the way up, now I am not crouching to see inside a bowl. It is so smooth running that I almost couldn't hear it; the second on off magnetic switch is nice too. Luckily my friend lent me his engine hoist, otherwise I'd have been out of luck putting this thing together. Living in the Olympics; I named it "Sasquatch 5000". My buddy Winston is not impressed.....View attachment 32365 View attachment 32366 View attachment 32364
I saw the Harvey's at the symposiums, great looking and well-made lathe. You are obviously giving Harvey too much attention, let's not neglect Winston!

I discovered, maybe 20 years ago, with my 3520A, that coring needs to be done in the slow speed range. My Beauty is one of the earlier ones, and has a 3 speed pulley system, same with my Vic 240 with the pivoting headstock. I keep it in the mid range. I do like speeds of over 1500 for bowl turning, well smaller bowls anyway, and the 2 pulley systems just don't do that range well. So, with the 3 speed ranges, you have slow, medium for coring and bowl turning, and spindle range. 2 hp is plenty of power...

robo hippy

I have a Grizzly that came with what I believe is a stepper motor or maybe a servo motor. The rating on it was 2HP 220 Volt 3600 RPM and it was terrible for coring even on the low range plus the fact that it develops 2HP at 3600 RPM means that the torque will be half that of a 2HP 1750 RPM motor. The other consideration is that an induction motor operated with a VFD produces constant torque, but who knows what that motor operates relative to torque. The controller on the Grizzly fried and a replacement would have cost me more than the VFD and 2 HP induction motor that I replaced it with.

It is a D/C servo motor with controller and with an encoder in the motor to sense rpm’s and torque load. My former Grizzly G0698 was a two hp D/C servo motor. It is still going strong after over 15 years.....I sold it to our club back in 2014.
An A/C induction motor with inverter will produce more torque at low rpms, and won’t “hunt” like a D/C motor does sometimes.
The only time this might be an issue is with coring, or trying to hog off too much with heavy cuts on big heavy wood. That is the reason I chose the Grizzly G0800, over the T-60, even though they both have the same basic frame, and because of a high efficiency 3 hp. A/C motor with inverter. Although that tailstock pendant control is nice on the Harvey T-60, I’d rather have the power and torque to handle big heavy wood, core, and the 3 extra heavy spindle bearings [all bigger than a baseball] that were designed into the G0800 beast.

Looks really sharp, John. Somebody has given a lot of thought in the design process.

Is that the whole motor sticking out the lower left side of the headstock? Maybe the 24" swing is fooling me, but it doesn't look nearly as big as the one on my Powermatic. Also, have you looked into how you're going to hook up a vacuum? That headstock hand wheel is cool looking, but doesn't seem well suited to a vacuum adapter. (which is also an issue with the Powermatic, on which the solution has been worked out)
It is a very short motor but has alot of grunt.

Motor specs....

Specifications
Item Number:
ECMA-E21315RS
Brand:
Delta Products
Item Category:
Motors
Subcategory:
Servo
Series:
ASDA-A2
kW:
1.5 KiloWatts
Voltage:
220 VAC
Frame Size:
130 mm
Servomotor Type:
Rotary
Rated Speed:
2,000 RPM
Max Speed:
3,000 RPM
Mounting Type:
Flange Mount
Encoder Type:
Incremental
Encoder Bit Resolution:
17 BIT
Constant Torque (Nm):
Peak Torque (Nm):
Constant Torque (Oz-In):
Peak Torque (Oz-In):
Constant Torque (Lb-In):
Peak Torque (Lb-In):
Brake:
No
Shaft Seal:
Yes
Inertia:
Medium
IP Rating:
IP65
Approvals:
UR;cUR;CE
H x W x D:
5.12 in x 5.12 in x 6.59 in
Net Weight:
16 lb 9 oz

I'm not sure if it would accept a vacuum chuck; that's far down the road for me.

I have a Grizzly that came with what I believe is a stepper motor or maybe a servo motor. The rating on it was 2HP 220 Volt 3600 RPM and it was terrible for coring even on the low range plus the fact that it develops 2HP at 3600 RPM means that the torque will be half that of a 2HP 1750 RPM motor. The other consideration is that an induction motor operated with a VFD produces constant torque, but who knows what that motor operates relative to torque. The controller on the Grizzly fried and a replacement would have cost me more than the VFD and 2 HP induction motor that I replaced it with.
Which model Grizzly do you have?

Roger, I really appreciate your insights that you shared with me during the past few weeks. I decided to order my G0800 last week. It should be here in a few days. Should I assume any of the current vacuum kits would work with this lathe?

Roger, I really appreciate your insights that you shared with me during the past few weeks. I decided to order my G0800 last week. It should be here in a few days. Should I assume any of the current vacuum kits would work with this lathe?
The spindle bore is 5/8" and most any vacuum adapter for a 5/8" bore will work.

I personally like and use Harrison Specialties vacuum hub as it threads directly on the spindle, and has a really nice seal that comes with it, plus it is a good bit less expensive than others out there. It is high quality machining and works the best I've tried. I can peg the needle on the vacuum dial with 31 hg using my Harbor Freight Vacuum pump.

I also have a Hold Fast venturi system that runs off my compressor,... on average 15 hg of vacuum.. There's no comparison on the holding power of the Harrison Specialties system. I also tried the rotary vacuum adapter that Craft Supplies sells for the Powermatic 3520b, because it is also a 5/8" bore on the spindle, but it would not seal well in the spindle, and I barely got 2 hg of vacuum.......I had to return it for a refund.

Hope this helps!

The spindle bore is 5/8" and most any vacuum adapter for a 5/8" bore will work.

I personally like and use Harrison Specialties vacuum hub as it threads directly on the spindle, and has a really nice seal that comes with it, plus it is a good bit less expensive than others out there. It is high quality machining and works the best I've tried. I can peg the needle on the vacuum dial with 31 hg using my Harbor Freight Vacuum pump.

I also have a Hold Fast venturi system that runs off my compressor,... on average 15 hg of vacuum.. There's no comparison on the holding power of the Harrison Specialties system.

Hope this helps!

Roger, what are you talking about? Max absolute vacuum is 29.92 in. hg. There is no way to get 31 (in.) hg.

Ok guys.....I was just reading the dial on the gauge I have, and no the gauge did not come from HF, but from ACE Hardware. I cannot verify it’s accuracy, but only observed that the needle was pegged at the 31 marking on the gauge.....not sure why the gauge is marked beyond 29 hg. I picked the gauge up locally a few years ago.

Harbor Freight - the company that sells tools and TSOs

Tool Shaped Objects
Well, I know that Robinair and several other makes of vacuum pumps are the same pumps with different colors on the plastic parts of the case housing. I’ve seen several names on the exact same pump over the years, and for what it’s worth, the pump I have is a two stage unit, and runs smooth, very quiet, and gets the job done every time I use it.....so I think it is doing just fine.

I’m only a few feet from sea level and have three different vac setups run by two different pumps. All three gauges read differently even using the same pump. The difference isn’t great enough to worry about, as long as the needle points to the left of tdc I’m happy. I don’t ever check the number, just whether or not the needle moves while I’m turning.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Well, I know that Robinair and several other makes of vacuum pumps are the same pumps with different colors on the plastic parts of the case housing. I’ve seen several names on the exact same pump over the years, and for what it’s worth, the pump I have is a two stage unit, and runs smooth, very quiet, and gets the job done every time I use it.....so I think it is doing just fine.

The comment about harbor freight was not about the pump but with the vacuum gauge reading above 31.
that would indicate the pump is superior to any found on earth :)
Max vacuum is 29.9 at sea level and less at higher altitudes.
You can get 31 at a depth of about 1500 feet below sea level. Someone mentioned the Dead Sea.

The comment about harbor freight was not about the pump but with the vacuum gauge reading above 31.
that would indicate the pump is superior to any found on earth :)
Max vacuum is 29.9 at sea level and less at higher altitudes.
You can get 31 at a depth of about 1500 feet below sea level. Someone mentioned the Dead Sea.
That was probably a cheap Harbor Freight analog gauge or if it is a quality analog gauge he may not have been looking straight on kind of like looking at an analog speedometer from the passenger seat. Back before digital gauges the most accurate analog gauges had a mirror on the scale so you had to look straight on such that the reflection of the indicator was not visible (the term used was anti-parallax).

It is a D/C servo motor with controller and with an encoder in the motor to sense rpm’s and torque load. My former Grizzly G0698 was a two hp D/C servo motor. It is still going strong after over 15 years.....I sold it to our club back in 2014.
An A/C induction motor with inverter will produce more torque at low rpms, and won’t “hunt” like a D/C motor does sometimes.
The only time this might be an issue is with coring, or trying to hog off too much with heavy cuts on big heavy wood. That is the reason I chose the Grizzly G0800, over the T-60, even though they both have the same basic frame, and because of a high efficiency 3 hp. A/C motor with inverter. Although that tailstock pendant control is nice on the Harvey T-60, I’d rather have the power and torque to handle big heavy wood, core, and the 3 extra heavy spindle bearings [all bigger than a baseball] that were designed into the G0800 beast.
I thought the GO800, T-60 and Laguna 24-36 where all built at Harvey Industries, so do they all have different specs (except for lenghth) or am i mistaken?

I thought that Harvey made all 3, but I read somewhere that Laguna got a different manufacturer to make the Revo lathes. I cannot verify that as fact, but did read that a few months back. I can say for sure, as I talked personally with the Harvey representative for the USA, and he confirmed to me that Harvey does indeed make the G0800 for Grizzly. Laguna changed from the original Harvey T-60 design, which the Grizzly G0800 is based on, and changed out the steel bed ways, and reconfigured the headstock with fewer & smaller spindle bearings, which I suppose was to allow them to make their headstock design, and add a pendant control for the tailstock. It is obvious that they retained the leg design, no doubt as allowed by Harvey. My conjecture here is that Laguna wanted something they could market that was different from Grizzly as to design, and the Revo was it [Generation 2] as the original Revo was like the current Grizzly G0800. I suppose Grizzly got a contract on that design, and Laguna changed out their specs.

I’ve had some phone conversations with the Harvey rep, and some email correspondence too.

Back