• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New handles

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
One of yesterday's projects was to make some new handles for interchangeable tools. These use the collet system from Robust. They seem to be quite, well, robust. I like the tool-free, quick change capability that the collets provide.

IMG_2059.jpeg

IMG_2058.jpeg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Nice handles Roger. So what is the variety of tools you are using these for?

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Thanks! The longer one is zebrawood with some Shellawax on it, the shorter one is a rosewood relative-- I picked it up at an estate sale and don't know exactly what it is. It polishes up beautifully-- there's no finish on it.

Just one note about the Robust collets...they are fairly dust sensitive.At least, that is the only excuse I can find for a failure of one. I had one jam and it was not cross threaded - it was tightened with only light hand pressure only...and it could not be loosened. Not even after destroying it with a pipe wrench and bench vice. So, the only thing I can say is that I believe that tight tolerances are good thing most of the time....but not all of the time. I was surprised to say the least.

Back