1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Need finish idea

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Danny Shamoon, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Danny Shamoon

Danny Shamoon

I'm going to tackle making some grinders with Spectraply blanks. I'm not sure of what finish to use, friction polish, some kind of poly like Deft, or ???? I would appreciate some ideas.
    Thank you
    Danny

2. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

I use and recommend Bartley Clear Stain/Varnish.

https://woodworker.com/gel-varnish-mssu-875-212.asp

I see they are out of stock for the time being, but the product is easy to use and reliable. Wipe on, wipe off, buff by hand, let cure 6 hours, and repeat for a total of 3 coats. No sanding needed between coats in my experience, and my shop is not particularly dust free. The finish is a fully curing film which is satin sheen. I believe it is a mix of alkyd resin and polyurethane.

3. Danny Shamoon

Danny Shamoon

Mark.... Thank you, unfortunately they can't ship to the wonderful state of Cali.

4. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

I don't consider any friction polishes to be an appropriate finish for anything with hard use. Can you get any varnishes in California?

5. Danny Shamoon

Danny Shamoon

Yes HD has some. I've used spray on Urethane on some wood projects.

6. Arkriver

Arkriver

Danny, I don't know if Ace Hardware is doing business In CA, but here they carry finishes that the big box outfits don't carry

7. Danny Shamoon

Danny Shamoon

YES they are, I buy some of Traeger Smoker needs there. Do you have a recommendation?
    THANKS
    Danny

8. Tim Connell

Tim Connell

With your limitations in Cali, I'd probably go with a clear coat acrylic. Krylon is one to look for. Sometimes these are marketed as acrylic lacquer, but they don't have any lacquer (nitrocellulose) in them. These are "water" clear finishes that won't yellow with age.

You could go with an oil modified poly (water based), but they will impart an amber tone that you may not be happy with on the spectraply.

9. Arkriver

Arkriver

Danny, that is the only place that sells Antique Oil. It should do a job on the grinders but you probably need 5-6 coats depending on the look you want. Allyn

10. Danny Shamoon

Danny Shamoon

THANKS to all for the help. Decisions decisions decisions......:)

11. Ed Weingarden

Ed Weingarden

For something handled as much as a grinder, a film finish is my choice. I use a "regular" gloss polyurethane, diluted 1:1 with mineral spirits, and apply as a wipe-on. I buff with 0000 steel wool between coats, and find that 3 coats provides a nice finish, without it looking plasticized. If you want a crystal clear film finish, water based poly will do the job. I've never used it as a wipe-on; I don't know if it can be diluted.

12. Danny Shamoon

Danny Shamoon

Ed... THANKS. I think I will try the water based poly. Hopefully I can do it right.

13. Craig Pierson

Craig Pierson

Time for a trip to Nevada ;-)