• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need definintion

I will be attending a hands on workshop next week. I'm kinda new and not sure what they're asking for. I have heard it before but. We have been ask to bringour wood for the projects. And it says: 8/4 squares about 12" long, 5/4 squares about 8" long and 4" x 4" x 8/4 hardwood.
Don't remember what is meant by the quarters. Please help.
Grandy (Sandy) Meyer

The "quarters" are marks on the scaleboard used for rough sawing. In the days of circular saws, 8/4 was about 2 1/8 wet. The blades used to squirm and score the surface if overfed, so they were shooting for nothing thinner than 2". With band mills they don't have to worry as much about blade squirm, so they tend to cut at the 2" thickness. When the wood cures, it loses about 8% dimension across the face, 5% on the quarter, so planing out any minor twist ends up with 1 3/4 for an 8/4 plank.

Softwoods shrink a bit more, so they're closer to 1 5/8.

need definition

One of the best perks of being a member of the AAW is the friendship you gain
with people you never meet. The help and assistance has been great. The few times
I've needed an answer, it was returned quite quickly.You could say any help needed
is only a mouse click away.I understand the quarter thing much better now.
I thank you all for your help.
Grandy

Back