• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need a magnetic remote for 1640

I have seen this mentioned on here, but I can't seem to find any real info. Has anyone added a remote to their vfd lathe? I'd prefer if it had the speed controls also.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Unfortunately, the link in the article is broken because it refers to a thread created before June 27, 2016, when we were still using vBulletin forum software. However, I think that it is likely to be similar to the modification done by forum member @Dave Landers. He has an excellent write-up of the modification on his web site: https://dlwoodturning.com/remote-control-for-my-lathe/

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I did the remote idea from the mustard monster site for my powermatic. You would probably have to modify the box to hold the assembly since the Jet controller panel is different but everything else should work. Best thing I ever did. I just tuned annoffcenter piece with the headstock at the end of the lathe and it would have been incredibly dangerous if I had not been able to move the remote.

The start stop can be duplicated on a remote station, however duplicating the speed potentiometer would require a separate switch to select which one is in use.
The best setup for a remote with speed setting would be to eliminate the one on the headstock.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Don that's what the mustard Monster modification is. You simply take the switch and pot from the lathe and mount it in a separate box with a longer wire.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hmmm, now that I think about it I might just have to buy a long ribbon cable and build a box to mount the control panel on my Saturn

Ribbon cable wouldn't be a good choice because it is meant to only be used in installations such as stationary wiring harnesses where it seldom would be moved.

My lathe is on backorder, but when I look at pictures of the headstock, it doesn't look like the potentiometer and start/stop are mounted on a removable plate, like they are on the powermatic? I'm thinking I'll need to wait to see the controls up close before I can plan any sort of hack/mod. I was really just hoping there was something ready-made that I could just wire in directly.

The start stop can be duplicated on a remote station, however duplicating the speed potentiometer would require a separate switch to select which one is in use.
The best setup for a remote with speed setting would be to eliminate the one on the headstock.
How could the start/stop be easily duplicated? This may be my route since it doesn't look like my jet is going to have a removable plate to mount into a separate junction box (I could be wrong because I haven't seen the lathe up close yet, it's on backorder).

How could the start/stop be easily duplicated? This may be my route since it doesn't look like my jet is going to have a removable plate to mount into a separate junction box (I could be wrong because I haven't seen the lathe up close yet, it's on backorder).
To determine how to duplicate the "start - Stop" function would require the machine wiring diagram and a connection diagram of the VFD. The classic start stop system involves a normally closed stop button, which could be series connected with another one and a normally open start button (an extra start button could also be added in parallel) in parallel with a holding contact. The function is that when a start button is pushed the run circuit is locked in and when a stop button is pushed the run circuit is broken.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Hmmm, now that I think about it I might just have to buy a long ribbon cable and build a box to mount the control panel on my Saturn
I used a 6-wire cable, I think it was about 16ga wire. I only needed 5 wires for my Jet or PM, but it came in 6 (more is better than too few...) Got it at Home Despot or someplace like that. Being a round rubber-coated cable, it holds up pretty well to the rough-ish service that comes with living around a lathe. Not sure a ribbon cable would survive for long - not in my shop anyway.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

If it were me, I wouldn't even consider having two independent sets of controls unless you're just talking about a remote STOP switch. Adding dual speed controls and FWD/REV switches complicates the design considerably .⃰

In my former life as an electrical engineer, I dealt with the dual-control issue on two-seat fighter aircraft. Even on seemingly trivial things, the design challenges of dealing with who has control and designing switching arrangements that aren't so complicated as to be a distraction from flying the plane become daunting tasks.

I think this might suit, and fairly easy, here's the quote,
"I used the same $5 paddle switch from Grizzly that many have used, but I wanted to be able to easily remove it. Since the stop circuit is low voltage DC. I opted for a 1/4" phono plug with a normally closed jack. This way, I can just unplug it and the circuit works as usual."

Here is the link to a pic... it's the phono plug partway down the page.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HteQ3M-56KKAijB3qQ7EVK6xjdvNxCq2ly2uWysW99o/edit

Back