• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Narrowing down choices

In addition to looking at a new lathe, I need to get some accessories. I would appreciate any input on the following:

Bowl and spindle gouge - right now I'm considering getting either the Carter and Sons or Thompson. Both I believe are high quality tools. The thing I'm debating is size. Of those of you with more experience do you prefer 3/8" or 1/2" and why?

Sharpening - I have a bench grinder that is 8", but would be considered a high speed model. I am looking at going to CBN wheels. I was thinking of getting 180 and 600 grit wheels. What is your preference in terms of grit? Also in my research a slow speed grinder is preferred for sharpening, however I have read that with CBN there is no problem with using a high speed grinder, anybody able to clarify.

Appreciate any advice you may have.

Bryan

I use 5/8 Thompson Bowl Gouge from Lyle Jaimeson. It has different flute shape than the ones directly from Thompson. It is good with Ellsworth Grind. Al told me about it and have been using it ever since.

For grinder, I use 1hp Rikon grinder with 80/180 CBN wheels from Woodturners Wonders. I liked the radius ones to sharpen hollowing tips, but that is a preference. I haven’t used higher grit wheels. 80/180 tend to be very common combination and what David Ellsworth used in his class so I stuck with it.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For bowls the tools I always use a 1/2” (5/8 dia bar) with the Ellsworth grind and a 3/8” spindle gouge with fingernail grind. On a few bowls I use a 1 1/4” round nose scraper to clean up the inside bottom if the gouge is not cutting cleanly. I also have a 1/4” (3/8”) bowl gouge with a Michelson grind I pull out for some finish cuts.

my favorite 1/2” bowl gouge is the Jamieson made by Thompson. I have 2 now.
The 1/2” Henry Taylor artisan gouge from Craft supplies used to be be an inexpensive alternative
Lately the price differential make the Jamieson gouge worth the small difference.
3/8” spindle gouge is the Packard brand - probably Hamlet
1 1/4 round nose scraper is an old wood craft from when the used sell scraper blanks.

Bryan, I apologize for not having noted where you are in the learning curve. If you are pretty new at woodturning, be aware that your first gouges will be 'sacrificial gouges', in that you will grind off a lot of steel as you learn to sharpen. Less if you have a jig, more if you try to learn entirely on your own or from videos. As a result, my suggestion is to pick up a high speed steel gouge made from M2, as it will be relatively inexpensive and you won't mind as much when you take off all that steel. The fancier and more expensive steels have definite advantages, but learning to sharpen will come faster and cheaper on the less expensive steel, that needs to be sharpened more often.

My size recommendation for learners is a 1/2" gouge (3/8" flute or English size). It's a little more controllable than larger gouges as the larger more easily take big bites. (My personal preference in versatile, easy to use bowl gouges is for any of the English gouges with the true parabolic flute.)

If you're already experienced then I agree with the 5/8" size as best for the one tool quiver.

Guys, thanks for the advise so far. Dean, I have turned quite a bit in the past, but not much bowl turning. I started off with cheap tools, which some I still use, but I want to purchase a couple quality tools that can cover a decent range. As for sharpening I'm no stranger and although chisels and plane blades I can do freehand (prefer jig) turning tools jigs are a plus. I know most like the oneway, I may do a DIY version. I am certain CBN will be best, I just would prefer not buying a new grinder.

I bought the 1 HP Rikon grinder from Ken at Woodturners Wonders., but a 1/2 HP grinder will also work.

As per Ken's suggestion I bought 180 and 600 grit CBN wheels. I found that the 600 grit CBN really takes off metal quite quickly. Relatively new to sharpeneing, but so far I have made little use of the 180 wheel.

If you are only getting one CBN wheel, then the 180 is probably best because it provided an 'all purpose' edge. The 600 grit makes for a better finish cut edge. I have the 1 hp Rikon grinder. After years of concrete construction, I want heavy duty tools that I can't break. Side note on the 1 hp Rikon, I had to put the Wolverine platforms up on a piece of plywood about 5/8 thick to get them up to proper height. With most other grinders, the grinder needs to go up on a plywood shim. I don't think the Rikon will hold up as well as my Baldor grinder, but for the price it is pretty good. For gouges, I own a lot of Thompson and D Way tools. A 1/2 inch gouge is standard for most hobby level turners and does a good job, but if you are doing a lot of heavy duty roughing, then the 5/8 is a better option. Me, I use scrapers....

robo hippy

Back