• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Name this wood.......

Is it Velvet Tamarind Burl?

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My supplier called it "Velvet Tamarind Burl" from Asia......but, it's not anything like the Tamarind I've turned in the past. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't........so, if it's not, then what else could it be?

The poll is just for fun...... :D

IMG_6019 (2).JPG
IMG_6020 (2).JPG

It's not very big.....6" x 3", and came in a square block, only partially dry.

This bowl will be listed soon, and when I'm in doubt, I usually go with whatever information I have......right or wrong! :eek:

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
update:

I have another bowl that's just come out of the seasoning process that is very similar. This one is labeled as "Asian Tiger Eye Burl". To me, they look very similar, but neither are showing up on the "wood database" site.....o_O

Tamarind does show up on the wood database, but the photo looks like the Tamarind I've turned before......and, not like either of these two. :confused:

-----odie-----
IMG_6021 (2).JPGIMG_6022 (2).JPG

I'm not a wood expert, but the dark piece looks like one of the Australian gum (Eucalyptus) varieties with all the voids in it. That other piece almost looks like fir or pine but I doubt you would have bought fir labeled as Asian Tiger Eye ;-).

A061E625-A4B4-4CAA-9112-C93368DAD2B4.jpeg
update:

I have another bowl that's just come out of the seasoning process that is very similar. This one is labeled as "Asian Tiger Eye Burl". To me, they look very similar, but neither are showing up on the "wood database" site.....o_O

Tamarind does show up on the wood database, but the photo looks like the Tamarind I've turned before......and, not like either of these two. :confused:

-----odie-----
View attachment 34217View attachment 34218
View attachment 34223

odie

TOTW Team

odie

TOTW Team

Yeah, it is......although, I don't think I paid nearly as much as those prices indicate. I don't have my inventory card here in front of me, but I think it was more like $100......and, I purchased mine from Cook Woods about a year ago, so the price has probably gone up! :D

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
Yeah, it is......although, I don't think I paid nearly as much as those prices indicate. I don't have my inventory card here in front of me, but I think it was more like $100......and, I purchased mine from Cook Woods about a year ago, so the price has probably gone up! :D

-----odie-----

Well, I was wrong.....I paid $168 for that Tiger Eye Burl blank! :oops:

I must be getting senile! :eek:

-----odie-----

Tom Gall

TOTW Team

-----odie-----
Several years ago I purchased two blocks of Claro Walnut burl for some very "special" burial urns from Cook Woods. Still haven't made them. :( That was my only purchase from them....I find their prices are insanely high!

Well, I was wrong.....I paid $168 for that Tiger Eye Burl blank! :oops:

I must be getting senile! :eek:

-----odie-----
168 Wow! That’s $228.48 Canadian! I hope you got 3 cores out of that block of wood!
You could be getting senile or maybe you won the lottery and your not telling us!, No craft fair for that bowl! But then again your bowls are only gallery worthy anyways. I love seeing pics of your bowls, you can see the years of experience in them.

odie

TOTW Team
168 Wow! That’s $228.48 Canadian! I hope you got 3 cores out of that block of wood!
You could be getting senile or maybe you won the lottery and your not telling us!, No craft fair for that bowl! But then again your bowls are only gallery worthy anyways. I love seeing pics of your bowls, you can see the years of experience in them.

Hey there, Glenn.....:)

Ha, ha.......Hard to say what came over me to buy that one! :eek:

Sometimes I buy a wood that I have never turned before, and it's just a curiosity thing. I don't plan to buy any more Tiger Eye burl.....but, you never know! :rolleyes: I have one customer that is requesting more Red Mallee Burl bowls, so I bought several pieces lately........but, none of these will be seasoned and ready for finish turning anytime soon! These are also pretty darn pricey! :(

Then again.......sometimes I just get a "wild hair", and you just never know what I'll do......me included!!!!! :eek:

-----odie-----

Hey there, Glenn.....:)

Ha, ha.......Hard to say what came over me to buy that one! :eek:

Sometimes I buy a wood that I have never turned before, and it's just a curiosity thing. I don't plan to buy any more Tiger Eye burl.....but, you never know! :rolleyes: I have one customer that is requesting more Red Mallee Burl bowls, so I bought several pieces lately........but, none of these will be seasoned and ready for finish turning anytime soon! These are also pretty darn pricey! :(

Then again.......sometimes I just get a "wild hair", and you just never know what I'll do......me included!!!!! :eek:

-----odie-----
Next time i am on the coast I’ll see if my friends have an extra big blank of yellow cedar Burl for you. Smells the shop up real nice when you turn it before it’s totally dry.

odie

TOTW Team
Next time i am on the coast I’ll see if my friends have an extra big blank of yellow cedar Burl for you. Smells the shop up real nice when you turn it before it’s totally dry.

I did a quick search and came up with this photo of yellow cedar burl:
iu

Yeah......if it looks anything like that, I'd definitely be interested in getting some of it.......I'd even pay for it! :D

-----odie-----

I did a quick search and came up with this photo of yellow cedar burl:
iu

Yeah......if it looks anything like that, I'd definitely be interested in getting some of it.......I'd even pay for it! :D

-----odie-----
Yes that is the stuff. I only get the five star stuff. I still have some very large burls in my garage. But yes next time I’m out I’ll grab you a nice one. Hopefully go this fall. But this damn covid thing.

I had a guy give me a chunk of the Alaskan Yellow Cedar that he wanted bowls made from. I could have sold the set several times before he came to pick them up. I was at a Christmas craft show. Really pretty stuff, very stable, and doesn't cut like cedar. Not hard, but cuts very cleanly. The shop does smell wonderful, but it isn't strong enough to drive you out of the shop.

robo hippy

Back