• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mystery Wood

Hi Everyone,

I finally got around to working on a log I picked up last year from the DZ firewood pile. I was very surprised by what I found. It actually had some color to it. Most of what I get is Birch and Maple. I posted a picture and was hoping some of you might have some idea of what it could be. The heart and sap wood have no discernable color difference. The wood is light brown

Thank you for you help
Jeff

hmmmmm

looks kinda like ash to me, Jeff. Can you post a picture of bark and a closer look at the grain?

dk

Could be...

I turned a couple of bowls from wood very similar to your picture; they were butternut. Could be...

pic

had the same problem earlier. click out to the main forums page and click on Jumpers name. that should get you to the photo (I hope)

Thanks everyone. After some research I am pretty sure it is Butternut. As a side note, how do you add a photo to the text of the message? An help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Back