• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My first segmented turning an urn for a friends dads cremains

I have a dear friend that wanted an urn for her dads cremains. We looked at a lot of different designs and she decided she wanted a segmented urn. I had never done a segmented turning before so I began educating myself on segmented turning. After a lot of research I found how to make a sled for cutting the segments, how to make a press for the glue up. We picked walnut and hard maple for the project and so it began. It was turned and sanded to 2000 grit and finished with Minwax Wipe-On Poly clear gloss. It took about 15 good coats on the exterior and 10 coats on the interior. The lid threads on via and inserted set of male/female brass threads. The urn holds 230+ cubic inches and his cremains left room for a couple small keepsake items to be included. Overall it was not a difficult project and opens a whole new set of options for turning. So if you’re thinking of doing some segmented turning dive in it’s really not that difficult, but it is time intensive.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Wow! beautiful and well done. I have not done segmented turning so you encourage me. I know your friend will be thrilled.

Wow! beautiful and well done. I have not done segmented turning so you encourage me. I know your friend will be thrilled.

Dave, thank you. She really was and we put the cremains in and there was enough room to put a few small keepsakes in as well. If you get ready to do some segmented turning I encourage you to read and check out the segmented websites.

Back