1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

My first segmented turning an urn for a friends dads cremains

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Jim Chrisawn, May 2, 2016.

1. Jim Chrisawn

Jim Chrisawn

Location (City & State):
    Rock Springs, Wyoming
    I have a dear friend that wanted an urn for her dads cremains. We looked at a lot of different designs and she decided she wanted a segmented urn. I had never done a segmented turning before so I began educating myself on segmented turning. After a lot of research I found how to make a sled for cutting the segments, how to make a press for the glue up. We picked walnut and hard maple for the project and so it began. It was turned and sanded to 2000 grit and finished with Minwax Wipe-On Poly clear gloss. It took about 15 good coats on the exterior and 10 coats on the interior. The lid threads on via and inserted set of male/female brass threads. The urn holds 230+ cubic inches and his cremains left room for a couple small keepsake items to be included. Overall it was not a difficult project and opens a whole new set of options for turning. So if you’re thinking of doing some segmented turning dive in it’s really not that difficult, but it is time intensive.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

2. Dave Richards

Dave Richards

Location (City & State):
    georgia
    Wow! beautiful and well done. I have not done segmented turning so you encourage me. I know your friend will be thrilled.

3. Jim Chrisawn

Jim Chrisawn

Location (City & State):
    Rock Springs, Wyoming
    Dave, thank you. She really was and we put the cremains in and there was enough room to put a few small keepsakes in as well. If you get ready to do some segmented turning I encourage you to read and check out the segmented websites.

4. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Jim, it is beautiful. You really did put a lot of effort into this project and the end result was well worth it.