• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Multiple bowl Cores with the Oneway Easy Core System

When I purchased my first complete set of knives from Oneway there were no instructions or guidance on how to core so I had to figure it out on my own. I later obtained Oneway's instructional video but it didn't make too much sense to me. At the time, Oneway's instructions said to establish the largest blank and core the largest bowl only. Then you would jam chuck the largest cored bowl, cut a tenon then re-mount the largest core and core the next largest bowl and repeat the process until the smallest bowl is cored. I thought their instructions involved a lot of unnecessary mounting of the cores, cutting new tenons, etc. when all that is necessary is to begin coring with the smallest knife. After coring the smallest bowl, I move the system's base 1" closer to the headstock and move the base so that the inside edge of the cutter is 1/2" to the outside of the next bowl to be cored. The knife's cutter thickness is 3/8" so, moving the base plate 1" closer to the headstock will leave you a core that is 1/2" thick in the bottom of the cored bowl. Moving the system's base so that the inside of the cutter's edge is 1/2" to the outside rim of the next bowl to be cored will give you a wall thickness of 1/2." I pop out two or three cores with the number 1 knife, move to the number 2 knife and pop out two cores, move the the number 3 knife and pop out two or three cores then finish up with the number 4 knife and pop out two or three cores. After coring I jam chuck each of the cores, align and balance the NE rim then cut a tenon and clean up the outside profile/shape with a finish cut. The next step is to flip the core around, hollow and sand then it is on to the next core. I hope this information helps to increase your yield--especially if you have purchased an expensive burl or piece of timber.

Back