1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Monster Hollowing Rig Source ?

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Dan Mosley, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Dan Mosley

Dan Mosley

Long time back i bought a monster hollowing rig and i just have pulled it out to start using again. I am not sure exactly what size laser to buy for it and do not have a resource to purchase. Does anyone else know where i can get additional laser lights from? and what size they are?
    Secondly - I like using the tear drop HSS scrapper bits on the tip of this hollowing rig does anyone have a source for buying that they can recommend ?

Thank you in advance, Dan in Calif

2. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

Location (City & State):
    Rockingham, Virginia
    I'll be paying attention to the replies you get, as I have the articulating system from Monster Tools. The owner/manufacturer passed, and the company folded after about 18months after his passing. The boring bar cutter bits 3/16" & 1/4" can be purchased fro McMaster Carr and Enco. The scrapers, I am not sure, but am hoping someone here can shed some light on what will work with the Monster rig, and where they can be purchased.

3. Dennis Weiner

Dennis Weiner

Location (City & State):
    New City, NY
    Teardrop cutters I use are tungsten carbide and are excellent. You can obtain them from Tod Raines.
    https://woodturningtoolstore.com/product-category/turning-tools/tod-raines-tools/

As far as replacement Lasers, if you can measure the diameter with calipers, I can make some inexpensive recommendations. I replaced mine with 12mm diameter lasers (costing about $6 for 2) and wired them to a battery box that has an on-off switch. Both from amazon. Much more convenient than that push button with a rubber band contraption.

Tim Tucker likes this.
  4. Hugh

Hugh

HSS tear drop scrapers.....You can purchase a piece of O-1 steel the thickness you want and then make your own. Heat them cherry red with a propane torch and cool them in oil. Then into the oven in the house for an hour and they will be good to use.
    Other option is to get a used planner blade and cut your own out of that. Really hard to drill a hole.....but you can cut a slot for the bolt.

5. Dan Mosley

Dan Mosley

20210108_202127_resized.jpg Regarding the laser I measured it with calipers to be 8mm x 13 and i think the old specs were 650nm, 1mw that i got from Randy when i first purchased the hollowing rig.
    Any thoughts on recommendations ??

Thank you for the responses, I will look into McMaster Carr and Enco......also thanks for the suggestion on heat treating but i had bought some awhile back that were very good and price was reasonable and still looking for a source but thank you.

6. Bill Blasic

Bill Blasic

Location (City & State):
    Erie, PA
    Check Ebay and Amazon for lasers

Tim Tucker likes this.
  7. Dennis Weiner

Dennis Weiner

Location (City & State):
    New City, NY
    searching amazon, "laser 650nm 8mm" I found a few that have 8mm casing diameter. I use 12mm and also 6mm.

Please note: Enco was bought out by MSC. You can find the HSS cutters at a very reasonable price at shars.com as well.

8. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Penrose, NC
    Just a thought......
    Many turners are moving to the use of a tiny CCD camera - instead of a laser in this application. It may be worth looking to.

Timothy White likes this.
  9. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    If you heat them in an oven do it at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour per 1/4" of thickness. This will temper them to roughly the proper hardness.

10. Ricc Havens

Ricc Havens

Location (City & State):
    Elkhart, IN
    Home Page:
    Ron Campbell at https://azcarbide.com/ has carbide teardrop bits. maybe they would be the size you need. He's a turner and supplies replacements for just about any hollower tip out there.

11. Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Jackson, NJ
    Home Page:
    Or a USB endoscope camera. I use one that has a mini USB plug that i can connect to any of my android devices. It also came with a mini to regular USB adapter that i now use to connect to my laptop and a 24" monitor. A camera makes it easier to visualize the wall thickness then looking a a dot on the turning.

Tim Tucker likes this.
  12. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Penrose, NC
    Endoscope...makes me a bit ..."tense" just reading that word.....:rolleyes::cool:.....say....Chris - uh...it was a new, clean endoscope camera...right?:eek::)

13. Walter Mooney

Walter Mooney

Location (City & State):
    Houston, TX
    +1 for AZ Carbide!

14. Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Jackson, NJ
    Home Page:
    Ok inspection or bore scope camera then. You can get them in 8mm so they should fit without modification.

15. Bill Blasic

Bill Blasic

Location (City & State):
    Erie, PA
    I tried the camera route but found adding a screen and wires and then having to look at the screen was not for me. I like looking at the piece and the laser allows that. I use just two basic tool shapes when hollowing, a straight tool and a hook tool. Straight tool first then the hook tool to get the shoulder then back to the straight tool to finish. It takes me seconds to adjust the laser each time. I have hollowed enough that I don't have to move the laser around the cutting edge of the tool I know where I am in there and I have my eyes on the piece.

Dennis Weiner likes this.
  16. Dennis Weiner

Dennis Weiner

Location (City & State):
    New City, NY
    Lasers vs cameras. Lasers +1
    1. I already invested in deep hollowing accuracy assistant. I’m not getting any closer to wall thickness with a camera. Not spending the money to find out. If I wish to achieve paper thin walls, then Ill switch to internal light hollowing.
    2. Monitors while turning? More clutter and more equipment to protect from flying debris.
    3. Lasers vs cameras vs human reaction time to a “catch moment”: when turning larger pieces I would want my vision focused directly on the wood so that my peripheral vision can pick up any incident as fast as possible . Looking up at a camera, for me, would being a partial view of the piece. If something happened I could probably see it on the monitor followed by a the look down at the piece then get out of the way. This is me. I’d rather have that Millisecond more of reaction time.
    lasers were a Clever invention. Cameras are even cooler. I can understand the lure. Pass.

17. Tod Raines

Tod Raines

Location (City & State):
    Allen, TX
    Dennis, thanks for the recommendation of my T1 HSS Teardrop cutters.

Dennis Weiner likes this.