• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mold?

Is this mold? It's in streaks through-out the wood I cut. On the outside it looks greenish, same as the inside depending on how the light hits it then it looks black. I've seen this several times, don't know what it is. I think the wood is either old ash or elm, it has been dead a few years. I picked it up this summer, it's not quite punky but is pretty dry. It borders soft/punky. I hate to throw it away/burn it, it has some nice markings through-out.
Mold.jpg

Welp, not getting any replies so must not be mold. I'll turn it this afternoon when I get me chores finished. I have 2 large chunks of this, 6" thick, 9"X9", will make a nice bowl and platter me thinks. :)

Thanks! I use a Trend Airsheild when I turn or sand. Was going to rough turn them this-afternoon but yesterday I hurt my hip, stepped in a hole me thunks. Could not put any weight on the leg/hip. It got better this am so I figured if I babied it I would be good. NOT.... walking downstairs it flared up, now I am sitting in the easy chair vegging on the tube.... darn it.... This is sure going to make climbing up into my tree-stand a royal pain, if I can even do it. Deer bow season may have just gave me the middle finger..... grrrr.... LOL, life goes on.

Yes, I suspect that it is a mold or some other type of fungi...and there are a whole bunch of different varieties that thrive in the type of wood that you are describing (couple of years old, punky, etc.). These fungi are nature's way of recycling. It does not appear to be a surface fungus so your decision to turn it probably depends on just how punky the wood is rather than whether or not it has a fungus of some kind or another...as long as you wear breathing protection when you cut and sand it. If you don't want it on the surface of your final cut vessel you can try a couple of things...spray dish detergent and water, vinegar and water, bleach and water, etc.). Personally, it would have to be a pretty danged interesting piece of timber for me fool with the additional steps I'm describing.

If I saw it in person, I might be able to make a better judgement. At first glance, I thought it might be metal stains from the chain and chainsaw, but when blown up, those lines don't follow the chainsaw marks. It could be mold. It could also be some spalting. If you cut a bit off of the end grain and it runs deeper into the wood, then I would think it is spalting of some sort.

robo hippy

That looks like American or Water Elm, it is definitely not any species of ash.
That is most likely mildew, mold isn’t normally so spotty. It will stain the wood gray all the way through if not killed fairly quickly. Not all the wood just streaks of gray. Spalting or zone line producing fungi grow in the wood, not on the surface of the wood. I now spray all my blocks with a solution made from 20 mule team borax. I put 2 tablespoons in a gallon of boiling water and stir till dissolved. I use a pump up sprayer to apply it. It is necessary to flush out the pump with clean water when done. I destroyed a couple before I noticed little crystals forming on the inside of the sprayer after a few days. They will cut the o rings inside the pump mech.

I don't have any Borax on hand, will a good wash in Clorox bleach kill it? Is there a way to make it safe to use but still show in the finished product?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I don't have any Borax on hand, will a good wash in Clorox bleach kill it? Is there a way to make it safe to use but still show in the finished product?

If I see any mold on bowls I am drying, I wipe them with Clorox.

I Use a paper towel wet with it. That has always been enough to kill it. Since I dry in paper bags I toss the bags the mold came out of.

I swap dry bags for the damp ones every day until the bags are no longer damp. Once the bags are not damp there is not enough moisture to grow mold or fungi.

20 mule team borax is available at most grocery stores and it’s cheap. Clorox will only work temporarily but this time of year that will probably be enough

Back