• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mini mini lathe

Hi All

I once a while back saw a small lathe in somebody's workshop. It was way smaller than a mini lathe. Does anyone know where one could find such a lathe hopefully in Australia.:)

Many thanks

Rog

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
General now has a very small lathe. I was kind of in a hurry when I walked by their booth but this looks like it might have a swing in 4 to 5 " range and maybe a foot between centers.
I have a Carbo-tec mini that has 8" swing and about 14" between centers. I think Penn State Ind has a copy of that one.

You might check with Bonnie Klein. She use to sell a small mini, mini lathe. If she doesn't make the many more, there are probably a few around.

Vicmarc larger size 10" swing
Bonnie's ( 5" swing) is a nice little lathe she also make one of the best treading attachments, her lathe has a lot of features that other lathes don't have a collet type chuck a tail stock that can be adjusted light weight but solid when mounted correctly. I have one I have had if for about 15 years
The comet knew people that had one never did care much for it ( I know there is people that love it but that why they make fords and chevys and what ever else so we can have a choice (don't know for how much longer we will have a choice but for now we do)
Carb-tec ( 6" swing ? ) used to make one it was good also have not seen any one with one in several years
If I remember right the Carb-tec did not have any markings on it
The Bonnie does not unless she started puting it on after I bought mine.
If you can find out what kind it was or give a better discription if you look long enough you can find one that some one wants to sell
Good luck

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The Nova comet is being re introduced and has some cool features that come on it. You can remove the handwheel and add all sorts of attachments such as a belt sander, a sharpening system and flex shaft. there may have been more I dont' remember. http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathes/CometII/Nova_CometII.htm
I've had the original Nova comet for about 15 years a love it. Mine has a 1 1/4x 8 spindle which isn't common but has worked out for me since my big lathe are 1 1/4x8. It also has a gap bed attachment and will take extra bed extensions. I have 2 for it. I selling it now along with a carbo-tec mini to get the new Delta Midi.

Bonnie indicates on her web site that she no longer sells a lathe. Her reason is because there are many high quality small lathes on the market.

As I recall her lathe was based on a Sherline lathe. The Sherline lathe is a miniature metal lathe. Bonnie replaced the cross slide with a woodturning tool rest. She likely did some other things to make the lathe a Bonnie Kline lathe. The sherline lathe is a precision piece of equipment that is small and light enough to pick up with one hand (though the balance is definitely at the headstock end).

If you want to turn small items like Bonnie does you could do a lot worse than a sherline lathe. With the cross slide you can turn out straight sided pens quickly and easily.

OR what you saw may have been a "pen lathe"? I think several companies produce them, but I'm not sure about their quality or versatility for anything other then pens.

General International makes the 25-010 M1 which you can see on their website and I assume you can get in AUS.

Is it similar to what you saw?

GK:eek:

Taig Lathe

Lee Valley sells the Taig Lathe in a version for wood or metal turning on the scale of the Klein lathe. they have less information in the newest catalogs, so use an old one or go to the website.

i think this is what you want and hope this is helpful to your turning.

OR what you saw may have been a "pen lathe"? I think several companies produce them, but I'm not sure about their quality or versatility for anything other then pens.

I have a "Pen Lathe". It is only good for pen's and small turnings. It was (past tense as they are not made anymore) by Jet.
Ron

Back