• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mineral Oil, and Walnut Oil

On Friday, I went to the local Woodcraft Store to drop off some wood blanks for a friend who was demoing there. It was their sale day. Mike Meridith, of The Doctor's Woodshop was there. In chatting with him, he came up with 'do you know the story about butcher blocks and mineral oil?' Well, nope.... Apparently, at the end of the day, the butchers would scrape down their blocks with a scraper or long knife, to remove gunk, then apply mineral oil. The reason for using the mineral oil, was that it is 'impermeable', which means that if forms a barrier that bacteria can't penetrate, and you don't want that going into end grain.... At the start of the next day, they would scrape it off, and then start working again. Never thought of that... I do know that salt and lemon juice are some times applied to wood surfaces to kill anything that is on them. Also, the mineral oil has mostly evaporated or what ever happens to it, mostly meaning it is gone within 2 weeks max.

Another thing he told me, was that on cutting boards, you should hit the surface with a heat gun. That helps the wax and oil to penetrate into the end grain for better protection. Didn't think to ask, until he was gone of course, is if the same process should be used on bowls. I guess the difference with bowls is that you have side grain and end grain.

robo hippy

My Dad did the butchering in his store and many Times I scrapped the block off with a scraper which had flat tines turned horizontally. Do not remember ever using mineral oil but he did occasionally use either Clorox or some type disinfectant. The block was maybe 3 foot diameter and the wood maybe 20 inch thick.

Studies have shown that wood has antibacterial properties. Something those old butchers didn't know. I'm no scientist, but I would suspect trapping bacteria and blood particles in the pores of the wood with wax and mineral oil would actually promote bacterial growth as compared to scrubbing it off the wood with soap and water.

Table salt and lemon also will dissolve fats and disinfect. Together, they will kill just about anything...

robo hippy

Back