• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mesquite resources

I thought I'd post here in hopes more viewers would see my message. I didn't get a lot of responses on the want to buy thread.

In search of members that have or have access to some fairly recently cut mesquite. The size desired is 3x3x17. The corners and/or edges can be pretty banged up since quite a bit will be turned down for the project pieces.

If you're for hire to turn, that's even better, that will cut down on shipping weight.

Just looking for a pair or two at this time.

Thank you,
Chuck

Here are a couple images of the turned project -

pair.jpg

drawing.jpg

Chuck, what kind of grain orientation are you looking for? Straight grain I am guessing? I have some mesquite logs that I will be cutting in the next couple weeks.

Dean, straight grain is preferred, but not required. If you're taking them to squares, anywhere from 2.75" to 3" squares will be great!!

Minimum length of 17" and no more than 24".

Many thanks!

Chuck

Hi Dean,
I'm down in Austin. Let me know if you have any interesting pieces when you cut your tree. I'd love to come up and take a look.
Thanks,
Raif

Raif, what are you mostly interested in? I make bowl blanks, turning stock blocks, firewood and shavings. Lots of shavings and then a few more shavings, haha. Yes I will let you know.

Dean, yes please may I have a bag of shavings? I LOVE shavings :). No I have a few of my own. I mean I make bowls too, so I want whatever pieces that you will not give me because they are awesome for bowls and you want them :).
But yea, you know crotch, burl or just very wide diameter.
Raif.

Gary I will agree mesquite with ham is good. I have always figured I picked the stuff inn the store nobody else wants so they quit making it, I’m sorry about your luck on the ham but its nice to know I’m not to only one!

I think I have Chuck taken care of.
I see that some ya are in Texas (or not..)—-I’m in Cuero—do have Mesquite and do sell blanks on request if that’s what you need.

David do you have what chuck needs? If so shoot him a message. The stuff I will cut will be green. Chuck do you want green or dry?

Chuck, if you don't find what you need from these reponses, contact Berdoll Sawmill in Bastrop County, TX (SE of San Antonio) . I've visit them everytime I'm in the area. Mostly they sell slabs but Brandon and his wife are as nice a folks as you'll meet. Brandon turns would too when he has time and usually has some turning blanks for sale, but I'm sure he can cut you what you need.

Back