1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Mentor needed

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Tim Passmore, May 21, 2014.

1. Tim Passmore

Tim Passmore

Location (City & State):
    Winchester, IN
    I've been turning now for about six months and have found it to be relaxing and rewarding. I've read many articles and books and have watched hours of video----all have been very helpful. I have also spent many hours on the lathe. I think a mentor would now be a great help as I attempt to hone my skills. I live in east central Indiana----any thoughts or volunteers?

2. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Join a club if you can find one near you. There is a great club that meets in Northern Indianapolis. Probably lots more.

3. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    I recommend you contact one or more of the local chapters in your area. Hands on instruction is by far the most effective way to advance your skills and increase your enjoyment of woodturning. Many clubs offer formal mentoring. Consider taking a formal class at a craft school or a turner's studio.

The AAW web site has a chapters search which produced 8 chapters serving Indiana.
    If you use their search you can expand the chapter information and find along to most of the chapters web sites.
    Only a small fraction of the AAW member routinely visit the forum. Most of the chapter contacts are quite helpful.

8 Records Found Sort by Name | Group
    Central Indiana Chapter-AAW
    Zionsville, Indiana United States

Flatland Woodturners
    Champaign, Illinois United States

I K I Woodturners
    Evansville, Indiana United States

Michiana Wood Turners
    Niles, Michigan United States

Northeast Indiana Chiselers and Turners
    Fort Wayne, Indiana United States

Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild
    Cincinnati, Ohio United States

South Suburban Chiselers/Illiana Woodturners
    South Holland, Illinois United States

Southeast Indiana Woodturners
    Holton, Indiana United States

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  4. Douglas Ladendorf

Douglas Ladendorf

Location (City & State):
    Pennington, New Jersey
    Tim, I can tell you from personal experience that joining a club is one of the best things you can do to improve your turning. I joined Bucks Woodturners (Eastern PA) about a year and a half ago and have seen wonderful presentations with very detailed information, but also participated in their hands on workshops where an experienced turner works with a small group while they each turn the topic project. Last year I turned my first bowl and this year a finial box, learning new techniques with direct mentoring. I've also found that turners tend to be very nice and generous folks. Get in touch with the nearest club and get to the next meeting. You will be glad you did.
    Doug

5. Tim Passmore

Tim Passmore

Location (City & State):
    Winchester, IN
    I found a turning club within 25 miles of my home that I didn't know existed. I'll be attending my first meeting on Wednesday. Thanks for the advice.

6. Steve Worcester

Steve Worcester Admin Emeritus

Location (City & State):
    Plano, Texas
    Home Page:
    that is what we are here for