• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

meetings while in quarantine

Last night, the NJ Woodturners had their regular monthly meeting, with Lyle Jamieson as the demonstrator. He showed how he does hollowing.
What was different was that Lyle was in his own shop in Michigan, and the rest of us were safely sitting in our homes, watching on our electronic devices.
It was a very good demo, because Lyle had 2 cameras, and was able to place them quite close to the work, so everyone probably got a better view of what's happening than if he'd been there in person.
Our last 2 meetings had virtual presenters, but the members were present at our meeting place. This meeting was just taking things to the next step.
I still prefer it when we can get together in person, but for now, this is a viable solution for the times.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
What feedback did you get from the club members?

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Cindy Drozda did one last week. Feedback from members was great. They can see better than when they go to the club. I'm doing one on April 18th for a club in Michigan. For now, it is the best and only solution.

Was there interaction from members? Were you sing something like Zoom or is Lyle's connection available to all. Until I read that you were watching from home, I was wondering what planet you folks were on. Sounds interesting. Our DSL connection is pretty slow, usually 3.3 Mbs. I would have to lock my wife in a room wihout internet connection as if one were streaming there is no way the other could get anything but a spinning wheel.

Rich and Mike-
I'm not on the board, but overall, it seemed favorably accepted. There was interaction with Lyle. Most of the time, our mikes were muted so Lyle wasn't disturbed by background noise and chatter. But we could post questions, and our moderator would then let Lyle know about them. There was also open mike time, when members would interact with each other and Lyle. I'm not real familiar with all this technical stuff, but I think Zoom is like a private video chat. We had almost 60 members on line during the demo, a few with their cameras on, so they could be seen. But from what I understand, the version of Zoom that was used would allow up to 100 people.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Rich and Mike-
I'm not on the board, but overall, it seemed favorably accepted. There was interaction with Lyle. Most of the time, our mikes were muted so Lyle wasn't disturbed by background noise and chatter. But we could post questions, and our moderator would then let Lyle know about them. There was also open mike time, when members would interact with each other and Lyle. I'm not real familiar with all this technical stuff, but I think Zoom is like a private video chat. We had almost 60 members on line during the demo, a few with their cameras on, so they could be seen. But from what I understand, the version of Zoom that was used would allow up to 100 people.
I thought it worked well. Better audio & video than most of the other remote demos we've had.....at least for guys with hearing & vision problems like me ;) .....and from the comfort of our home .... my chair was much more comfortable than those in our meeting room.:D I wasn't real familiar with the Zoom format - but for people with cameras on their computer there were thumbnails of members watching the demo....a lot of snacking going on!!! :p ...and Bob, you looked a lot older than I remember! :rolleyes:

HEY! I haven't been to a meeting in 3 months. Of course I look older. And the camera adds 30 lbs. lol
Next time I turn off the camera so I don't have to take this abuse <g>

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
By the way, Lyle uses a typical three camera setup. One above the lathe, one easily moveable, and one on him. The feedback from club members about Monday’s demo was great. Lots of thank you emails and conversations from the group.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
By the way, Lyle uses a typical three camera setup. One above the lathe, one easily moveable, and one on him. The feedback from club members about Monday’s demo was great. Lots of thank you emails and conversations from the group.
@AlanZ did not mention that he was the co-host and he is the person making all of this possible. He has been mentoring me and lots of others. Personally, for about 4 years now, I need less help now, most of the time, LOL I'm not kidding you when I say that I probably have logged over 20 hours with Alan. Multiply that time who knows how many, well over 40 I'm guessing and you get somebody that has donated more time to our woodturning cause than anybody I know. I have a draft in my computer, I want to nominate Alan for the AAW lifetime achievement award, I started writing it while ago. Anybody that wants to learn how to do IRD, or how to receive them, I encourage you to join www.lucidwoodturners.com

I didn't want to mention Alan, just so he doesn't get swamped with requests for his skills. But I agree with you- this online meeting would not have happened without him. If you need any support for the lifetime achievement award nomination for him, let me know.

Regarding ZOOM: https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/31/zoom-at-your-own-risk/

ZOOM has some serious privacy and security issues (re: article, above). Be wary of installing any of their software.

WebEx is an alternative from Cisco. It's also free.

We've had issues with ZOOM the last few days, but those were mainly lag-related, making our meetings almost unusable. There's a way to start meetings without installing anything, but it's buried on the ZOOM site and I couldn't find it when I looked last week.

Mike Adams you can join a meeting from your browser without downloading anything, just copy and paste the link it's limited participation but it usually works.

There's another thread going addressing these so-called Zoom issues, which mostly concern businesses and don't really apply to us.

Back